Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!

Go down 
+10
StewHK
ozspur
ezza
GDG
spur'don
James
Tottingham
Sam
Daniel
DannyBoy
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2007-06-06

Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! Empty
PostSubject: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyMon Jun 25 2007, 22:31

Well, well, well who’d have thought it?

A large squad of young, fit, talented athletes versus a small bunch of guys who are either unfit, more senior or of questionable talent (some more than one). The outcome shouldn’t even be in question…..
Or should it?

In the build-up to the big match, I jokingly made reference to Phil Neville, Ian Walker and Antoine Sibierski, and the mood was very much one of well we’ll probably lose but let’s just have fun whilst we doing it. I very tongue-in-cheekily predicted a victory of 7-4, knowing full well that if anything the score would be the other way round. The talk in the final day or two preceding KO was over the large number of players HK Spurs would have, and who would be substituted first for SIHK if we’d even have enough players for substitutes, and if we could get away poaching the other teams players!

The big day came around, both Paul and DannyBoy had sensibly taken GDG’s advice and taken on board many liquids preceding the game, it was explained to them afterwards that this wasn’t quite what he meant. The pre-match talk was held by Player-Manager GDG, who re-emphasized the necessity of keeping possession, playing simple passes and keeping the tempo slow. The conditions made any other style suicidal. Whilst it wasn’t too hot the humid levels were high enough to make a fish sweat.
Similar to the preview, SIHK set out in a 3-1-3-2 formation, Hairy in goal, a back three of Ezza, Daniel and DannyBoy, GDG playing the anchorman, Edmond, Chris, James and James N17 upfront. Ozspur was on the bench to be joined belatedly by Paul and Spur’don. (It’s conceivable I may have those startin XI details slightly mixed up).

The game kicked off, and SIHK began stroking the ball around nicely, feeling the pitch out and getting used to playing on the same team as one another (it’s worth adding at this point that they’d not even had a training session prior to this). Straight away it was clear that chasing after the ball terrier like was a sure-way to get beaten. A few early chances came to nothing early on and it was clear either a mistake or a bit of magic would lead to the first goal. Lamentably for the boys in lilywhite (SIHK) it was the former that occurred and a slip in defense allowed Aufai (sp?) for the away team to nip in and put the ball beyond the keeper. 0-1! If this early deficit might have been predicted before the game, it was very much against the flow of the game at that point.

SIHK first clearcut chance came from a corner swung in, and Ezza leapt like a salmon, only to see his header fly off his shining pate into the night’s sky and over the bar. SIHK were still making all the best moves, and already a nice understanding had been developed early between James, N17, GDG and Paul who were all fluidly interchanging passes.

Throughout the first half the rolling substitutes were used due to the oppressive conditions, it has been suggested that DannyBoy set a new record for substitutions during the game, but one of these bouts of severe unfitness on his part actually proved useful for SIHK. James N17 called to the bench for a swap, and on came DannyBoy to take his place upfront. Shortly following the change James made a darting run up the right flank, DannyBoy saw the opportunity and raced in the from the opposite side completely unmarked, with great skill James eased it passed the keeper and across the goal to DannyBoy who was fervently praying he would not miss, somehow he didn’t, and SIHK had their first ever goal! 1-1 GAME ON!

Despite SIHK being spurred on (sorry) by the equalizer, parity did not remain for long and when it came it was contentious and controversial. HK Spurs gained a dubious freekick near to the center circle, and a high, long, looping ball was sent forward, it missed everyone and somehow went in the goal! Despite the protestations of Hairy in goal, and his bitter cries of “Russian linesman” the goal stood and HK Spurs re-took the lead. 2-1!

To add injury to insult Ezza suffered a devastating groin injury and had to be replaced. Ultimately this worked to SIHK tactical advantage, as it meant Ezza took the goalie’s gloves and a formidable centerback pairing of Daniel and Hairy joined forced, this back three did not change for the rest of the 90 minutes and it is no coincidence that not only did SIHK not concede but did not even look like conceding!

With the defense secure, SIHK unleashed an absolute barrage of attacks on HK Spurs. The pick of the chances involved GDG, he released James and N17 on two separate occasions with delightful through balls but both times the HK Spurs keeper (who was magnificent all game) was equal to them. GDG even had a pop himself the ball falling to him a good ways outside the D and he fired a smart shot that arrowed towards the keeper’s bottom right hand corner, ONCE AGAIN it was saved.

Then a moment of pure magic occurred. Again it was GDG who was on the ball, he looked up and played a high ball towards James. James without looking at his marker flicked it with his head up and over the defender, then with a burst of speed, turned and left his befuddled adversary for dead and collected the ball, he looked up and tried an audacious chip over the keeper! Unfortunately it was over the bar as well.

Halftime soon followed, and SIHK trooped off still a goal down, despite their best efforts. Player-Manager GDG was confident however and gave a rousing halftime speech and instilled in them confidence that they could overcome the one goal disadvantage. I would liken GDG to Jol in his charisma but as we’ve often seen BMJ’s halftime speeches seem to have the opposite effect on our boys (vs Arsenal at home, particularly springs to mind) so I’ll say it was pure Churchillian instead.

Boosted by the halftime talk, SIHK looked to overcome the odds. Spur’don tackled and passed with aplomb, the new centerback pairing was impenetrable, Ozpur effective in leading the line when he entered play, harrying defenders to maintain the pressure, Ezza was bravery and sheer guts continuing to play with his injury and launching at defenders to get the ball, GDG led with simple and effective passing, Paul and Chris were having a lot of joy on the wings and N17 and James bristled with menace everytime they got near goal. DannyBoy was still re-enacting his goal over and over in his head so was daydreaming at this point, although when he got the ball he was effective enough with his distribution. Edmund injected pace and was determined, constantly giving encouragement whether on or off the pitch.
Surely the goal had to come???

But still it was impossible to beat the damn keeper, every cross that came in was held, every shot saved. James and N17 both hit the woodwork.
Then a set piece…. an excellent corner curling away from the keeper,,,,, Edmond got up and got a firm connection, the keeper was beaten….. BUT IT WENT WIDE! And STILL the goal would not come! It looked like HK Spurs would steal the win and that SIHK would walk away with heads held high at the performance but ultimately unlucky losers. That despite their endeavor individual fitness would triumph over teamwork.

GDG desperately attempted to break through, the ball spun off a defender and rolled off towards the byline for a goalkick. The only player who hadn’t given up on that ball was James. He determinedly chased it down and stopped it leaving play, stepped inside to create a better angle and shot…..

AND SCORED!!!!! 2-2! The equalizer!

Delight was on the face of the SIHK players on the pitch and the bench and it could not have been more deserved. Nor to a more deserving player, as James had been so unlucky on several occasions, denied by goalkeeper and woodwork. And if there was any justice he’s Berbatov moment would have resulted in a goal that would have been spoken of for many a year.

A 2-2 was not good enough though! With the clock ticking down, SIHK tried manfully for that extra goal that would have elevated them from Heros to Legends. The ball went out of play for a corner. Paul who’d been denied with his corners by the leaping spiderman of a goalie so many times, whipped in a beauty, the keeper was nowhere and Spur’don thrusting forward to the attack forced his panicking marker to head the wrong way…..AND INTO THE NET!!!!
3-2 SIHK!!!!!!!!

With the clock ticking down, SIHK began to hold out encouragingly led by Daniel’s chants of “This is a shambles”. As time ran out Chris somehow went on a blistering run past 3 defenders and was unfortunate that his final touch took it too close to the keeper, but it was enough to tick down the time and sure enough…..FULL TIME!!!

3-2 SIHK had triumphed against the odds. It was an excellent performance by the boys in Lilywhite. It would be unfair to pick out one player as everyone player played their part and gave their absolute all.

The full role call:
Well done to Daniel “ironman” for lasting the whole 90 minutes, to GDG for being a great manager and the engine of the team, to Hairy for volunteering to being in goal, doing a great job and then an even better one at centreback, to Ezza for overcoming injury (I salute you sir) to play in goal and being unbeatable, to Paul for classy wingplay and the most important cornertaker ever, to Edmond for determination and pace and for always encouraging the team, to James for being SIHK’s Berbatov and for setting me up Wink , to Spur’don if he can play this good whilst wearing glasses imagine what he can do with proper eyewear (contact etc), to Chris for burning up and down the wing and having the energy even in the dying moments to take on 3 players and beat them, to Ozspur for encouraging from the sidelines, being highly effective when on the pitch and mate next time you’ll snatch the winner I’m sure, to N17 for providing SIHK with class upfront and creating an excellent partnership with James, to me for writing this report and being lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time.

And finally to SIHK for making the night as fun, brilliant and exciting as I was hoping for weeks beforehand it would be. True Yiddos each and everyone!

COYSIHK!!
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2007-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyMon Jun 25 2007, 22:58

Brilliant Dan. That is hilarious and painful at the same time (Deep Heat anyone?). Class night, class game and and a class report. Superb. This will form our first story on the main page of the site in few days. Well done mate.
Back to top Go down
http://www.spursinhongkong.com
Sam
Paolo Tramezzani
Paolo Tramezzani
Sam

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyMon Jun 25 2007, 23:17

you guys are very professional, excellent team spirit
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyMon Jun 25 2007, 23:23

Great effort Dannyboy Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! 24282
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyMon Jun 25 2007, 23:32

cheers cheers cheers to Dannyboy!

The report had me in stitches! Sometimes it is like reading the text commentary in FM! Go and get a job there!

A really brilliant night - thanks to everyone . This is perhaps the 1st ever time I played footie with a bunch of teammates all wearing the Lilywhites shirt!

Match ratings in FM style

Hairy - 10
Daniel - 10
Ezza - 10
Spurdon - 10
Dannyboy - 10
GDG - 10
N17 - 10
Chris - 10
Edmund - 10
Paul - 10
James - 10
Ozspur - 10 cheers

Also fair play to HKSpurs - they played us to the edge and was unlucky to lose. Anyone want a revenge? cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyMon Jun 25 2007, 23:37

James wrote:
Sometimes it is like reading the text commentary in FM! Go and get a job there!

Surprised Emmm not sure that's neccesarily a compliment there James.

Although I know in what sentiment it was meant so thanks anyway Wink
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyMon Jun 25 2007, 23:42

You deserve the Nobel Literature Award if I were in the panel study
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyTue Jun 26 2007, 00:30

Top work Dannyboy. Superb stuff.
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

Number of posts : 2576

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyTue Jun 26 2007, 00:53

Top effort, Dan, well worth the wait. I heard whispers after the game from people wanting to play the Arse and ManU and getting a stronger team out to make sure we won, but for me Saturday night was what this group is all about - a bunch of lads with a common interest having a great time kicking the ball around in their favourite team's colours.

For me it's important that everyone gets a game and has a good time, far more so than winning the game. Although as I said five minutes from the end, the beer will taste a lot better with a 3-2 result than a 3-3, so I may be a bit of a hypocrite.

Well played one and all, I look forward to many more successful evenings in future.
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

Number of posts : 1702

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyTue Jun 26 2007, 09:32

Great report DannyBoy. I chuckled all the way into work on the MTR. Not surprised there were a few spare seats around me this morning.

Happy to report the injury feels much better. Aiming to be back (if selected) in 3 weeks.
Back to top Go down
ozspur
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
ozspur

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2007-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyTue Jun 26 2007, 11:09

DannyBoy wrote:
Paul who’d been denied with his corners by the leaping spiderman of a goalie so many times, whipped in a beauty, the keeper was nowhere and Spur’don thrusting forward to the attack forced his panicking marker to head the wrong way…..AND INTO THE NET!!!!
3-2 SIHK!!!!!!!!

COYSIHK!!

Absolutely top-quality report, Dannyboy.

Im sure Jeremy (Spur'don) won't mind me claiming my 30 seconds of fame as it was actually me (ozspur) that jumped with the defender forcing him to panic. It was almost as had been scripted - I come on and score a tap-in right at the end. Well, I didn't actually score as the defender beat me to the ball, no surprise there Very Happy , but if he'd missed his header, the ball would have hit me smack bang on the forehead for a certain goal.

Anyway, thanks Dannyboy for taking time to write the report. A masterpiece in football writing! It was a great night, a fantastic result, lots of fun at Al's and, amazingly, no hangovers. cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyTue Jun 26 2007, 11:13

I originally thought it was as in my preview I implied this would happen! However someone obviously misinformed me post-match on the events, sorry about that.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyTue Jun 26 2007, 11:44

Dannyboy - Now that Ozspur has revealed what really happened can I have my $500 back !!!! Laughing

GDG - 100% agree. Obviously winning is preferable but it shouldn't be our first priority. Lets not forget the real purpose for arranging those sort of nights - building a spurs community in Hong Kong. Win, lose or draw, the teams composition ought to be genuine Spurs fans.

If however we play regularly, particularly mid week and we're short on numbers it would be good to invite members of hkspurs to play.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyTue Jun 26 2007, 11:45

I agree, it should be for fun. Too serious and it will go pear shaped.
Back to top Go down
ozspur
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
ozspur

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2007-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyTue Jun 26 2007, 12:11

I actually loved the fact that being in my 50s, totally unfit and without a modicum of talent, I could run about like a headless chicken for a few minutes, be welcomed by teammates and feel part of the Spurs community. That is something I value so much and bodes really well for the Spurs community in HK. We should aim at being as inclusive as possible, have fun, and try to win more than we lose :bmj: Whatever happens, we'll always be a better supported team in HK than the likes of Arsenil, Chelski and the Pikeys and that is what makes Spurs so special.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyTue Jun 26 2007, 12:19

personally I hate egos and hierarchy within a supporters club. We started SiHK with this attitude and it is this attitude that will remain I hope. I don't care if people have been here 10 minutes or 10 years we should all be able to watch the match, play for SiHK FC and have social gatherings in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. The rest is BS
Back to top Go down
Sam
Paolo Tramezzani
Paolo Tramezzani
Sam

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyTue Jun 26 2007, 12:22

spur'don wrote:
Dannyboy - Now that Ozspur has revealed what really happened can I have my $500 back !!!! Laughing

GDG - 100% agree. Obviously winning is preferable but it shouldn't be our first priority. Lets not forget the real purpose for arranging those sort of nights - building a spurs community in Hong Kong. Win, lose or draw, the teams composition ought to be genuine Spurs fans.

If however we play regularly, particularly mid week and we're short on numbers it would be good to invite members of hkspurs to play.

I am a good veteran, please count me in, mostly I am avaiable if my wife don't get craze.Laughing
Back to top Go down
StewHK
Ramon Vega
Ramon Vega
StewHK

Number of posts : 658

PostSubject: 10 pence worth   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyWed Jun 27 2007, 02:37

Whilst I did not play, my feeling is that if we play against other non-Spurs opposition, we should form one large squad consisting of all Spurs fans that want to play (on the day) rather than having 2 separate teams.

I know that other supporters clubs can bearly put together a team of 7 aside, let alone 11.

:bmj:
Back to top Go down
http://www.toppundit.com
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyWed Jun 27 2007, 11:50

I'm in full agreement with Daniel and Ozspur. I don't see any danger of SiHK changing its attitude. If decisions, invitations, announcements etc are made on this forum SiHK will remain an open, non hierarchical community. For sure, some members will be more active than others but in my opinion we should stay away from forming committees, appointing chairman's etc.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyWed Jun 27 2007, 12:05

StewHK wrote:
Whilst I did not play, my feeling is that if we play against other non-Spurs opposition, we should form one large squad consisting of all Spurs fans that want to play (on the day) rather than having 2 separate teams.

I know that other supporters clubs can bearly put together a team of 7 aside, let alone 11.

:bmj:

Funny, I thought SiHK FC was working fine as it was Question
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyWed Jun 27 2007, 17:16

I'm happy as is to be honest.

Although we need to get Edmond to join the board and convert him surely?
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

Number of posts : 2576

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyWed Jun 27 2007, 17:16

Don't call him Shirley.
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyWed Jun 27 2007, 17:18

Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyWed Jun 27 2007, 18:20

Yes, lets get the man like edmond on here. He has actually been hanging around with SiHK for as long as it has been going even though he isn't a yid. I think he is a neutral. Top bloke.

Last edited by on Wed Jun 27 2007, 18:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! EmptyWed Jun 27 2007, 18:25

Its a shame our swedish leftback left Razz . I think he's chris' friend isn't he? He's not a neutral Daniel, he's a spurs-fan-in-waiting Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!   Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Spurs In Hong Kong vs HK Spurs MATCH REPORT!!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next