Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

Markets

Go down 
+3
Tottingham
Janek
spur'don
7 posters
AuthorMessage
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Markets Empty
PostSubject: Markets   Markets EmptyTue Mar 18 2008, 11:28

It's a blood bath out there !!! Hang Seng down.....HKD down.....

What a nightmare.
Back to top Go down
Janek
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Janek

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2007-07-24

Markets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Markets   Markets EmptyTue Mar 18 2008, 12:01

The world is ending....for bankers

Of course, for us lawyers, this is all good news cos when things go wrong people sue the hell out of each other
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

Number of posts : 1015

Markets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Markets   Markets EmptyTue Mar 18 2008, 12:36

my fund is up this year Very Happy
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Markets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Markets   Markets EmptyTue Mar 18 2008, 13:13

Mine is down !

So is Joe Lewis, owner of ENIC. I see he lost USD 800 m in the Bear Stearns crash. Rumour has it he may be forced to sell some other assets.
Back to top Go down
Janek
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Janek

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2007-07-24

Markets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Markets   Markets EmptyTue Mar 18 2008, 14:26

FROM THE TELEGRAPH:

Joe Lewis, the secretive Bahamas-based billionaire who controls Tottenham's parent company ENIC, has reassured Spurs chairman Daniel Levy that the £500 million loss on his investment in the collapsed American bank Bear Stearns will not force him to sell the club.

According to club sources, Levy has been in close contact with Lewis since news of the Bear Stearns crisis broke last Friday. Having spent £550 million building up a 10 per cent stake in the bank last year, Lewis's £2.5 billion fortune has taken a massive hit from the bank's emergency takeover by rivals JP Morgan. Lewis bought his shares at an average of £53 each but yesterday JP Morgan acquired Bear Stearns for £1 a share. In an effort to recoup some of his heavy losses, City analysts predicted Lewis would look to liquidate some of his other assets. But Lewis has told Levy that the blow has not impacted too heavily on his fortune and that he has no plans to put Spurs up for sale.

A club source said: "I don't think Joe needs to raise money by selling the team. He's probably still sitting on the best part of £2 billion worth of assets."

Lewis, the 16th richest Briton, according to last year's Sunday Times rich list, owns a majority stake in ENIC, which in turn owns 82 per cent of Tottenham. Although the company built up a series of stakes in football clubs across Europe at the end of the Nineties, they recently divested their interests in all but Tottenham and Czech team Slavia Prague.

Club insiders say that Lewis's involvement in Spurs is minimal and that he leaves day-to-day management to Levy. Unlike Chelsea, who are dependant on Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich to write off vast annual losses, Tottenham do not rely on Lewis to keep the club afloat. According to their most recent set of accounts for the year ended June 30, 2007, Tottenham made a pre-tax profit of £27 million on a turnover of £103 million.

However, the global credit crisis could still have an impact on Spurs' plans to redevelop White Hart Lane or build a new stadium. Levy and his board of directors were due to decide in the next two months whether to expand their existing ground or explore one of two alternative sites away from Tottenham. But the banking meltdown means that Spurs may now have to rethink how they will finance the scheme.

With the cost of steel and other construction materials rising and banks less willing to lend money, Spurs may have to consider staged financing of the project, rather than borrowing all £350 million needed in one go.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Markets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Markets   Markets EmptyThu Mar 20 2008, 12:35

I give up !!! My shares are down a further 12% today. Oh boy....
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2007-06-05

Markets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Markets   Markets EmptyThu Mar 20 2008, 12:48

The only market I am interested in is Basildon Market and its many many bargains.
Back to top Go down
http://www.spursinhongkong.com
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495
Registration date : 2007-06-06

Markets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Markets   Markets EmptyThu Mar 20 2008, 12:54

Daniel wrote:
The only market I am interested in is Basildon Market and its many many bargains.

and Wellcome Supermarket. Haven't heard of your stamp collecting stories for long. That used to be my favourite thread!
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2007-06-14

Markets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Markets   Markets EmptyThu Mar 20 2008, 13:31

Tottingham wrote:
my fund is up this year Very Happy

....It's only March.
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2007-06-06

Markets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Markets   Markets EmptyThu Mar 20 2008, 13:37

I've still got the same amount of dollars under the matress as I started with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Markets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Markets   Markets Empty

Back to top Go down

Markets
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Wellcome Stamps Section :: Off Topic-
Jump to: