Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

Squad for South Africa

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2007-06-06

Squad for South Africa Empty
PostSubject: Squad for South Africa   Squad for South Africa EmptyTue Jul 10 2007, 10:26

Provisional squad: Robinson, Cerny, Alnwick, Gardner, Dawson, Rocha, Stalteri, Assou-Ekotto, Chimbonda, Bale, Jenas, Ghaly, Malbranque, Tainio, Huddlestone, Murphy, Zokora, Routledge, Taarabt, Keane, Defoe, Berbatov, Bent, Ifil.

So I guess King, Lee, Lennon absent through injury.
No room for Barnard or Pekhart in the squad.
Worryingly, Murphy and Routledge linger on
Pleasingly, Ifil is included and Chimbo too, dispelling rumours we're gonna sell him? And this could be the season "the new Zidane" makes abreak through.

And what's happened to Kaboul?
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Squad for South Africa   Squad for South Africa EmptyTue Jul 10 2007, 10:34

I'm still not comfortable with our midfield. It just doesn't look top four to me.

I'm sure other new faces will appear.
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495

PostSubject: Re: Squad for South Africa   Squad for South Africa EmptyTue Jul 10 2007, 10:47

spur'don wrote:
I'm still not comfortable with our midfield. It just doesn't look top four to me.

I'm sure other new faces will appear.

You're right. All of them are good players but no one is a star. We need Sneijder before he goes to one of the 'bigger' teams.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: Squad for South Africa   Squad for South Africa EmptyTue Jul 10 2007, 10:55

We simply have to sign additional midfielders.

The forward line has a wow factor.

The defence looks strong ( providing Pascal doesn't depart )

The midfield is very average, particular if Lennon fails to progress and Zokora's end of season promise was merely a purple patch. Also, Lennon and Jenas appear very injury prone.

However, I'm in a panic since I believe Jol probably recognises this and will act upon it.
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

PostSubject: Re: Squad for South Africa   Squad for South Africa EmptyTue Jul 10 2007, 13:27

I reckon we'll be seeing SWP in a Spurs shirt before too long with Chimbo going in the opposite direction. That would make signing a new RB a top priority leaving centre midfield a little exposed and probably our biggest weakness.

Huge pressure on Zokora, Jenas, Tainio and Huddlestone to perform consistently this season.
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

PostSubject: Re: Squad for South Africa   Squad for South Africa EmptyTue Jul 10 2007, 13:30

Rumour is that Lennon will also go (might not necessarily to Chelsea) so that bringing SWP in will be a more sensible move. Jim Duggan on Topspurs is suggesting Lennon may move to a club with cash (eg Newcash, Man City) rather than the big 4.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: Squad for South Africa   Squad for South Africa EmptyTue Jul 10 2007, 14:21

How long has Lennon got left on his contract ?
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

Number of posts : 1015

PostSubject: Re: Squad for South Africa   Squad for South Africa EmptyTue Jul 10 2007, 15:00

Signed contract on Monday 8 January 2007, which will keep him at the club until 2012 - he's here for a long time yet!
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

PostSubject: Re: Squad for South Africa   Squad for South Africa EmptyTue Jul 10 2007, 15:14

That length of contract means it would take a huge offer to prise him away. A 15 - 20m offer for Lennon from the Geordies might be tempting to Levy and the boys.

Who knows. All speculation at this stage. One thing's for certain though.........Saturday 11 Aug.........The Big Kick Off........prime time....non school night.......... Squad for South Africa 24282 Carnage!

Don't forget to vote for your venue whether you're here for it or not.
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

PostSubject: Re: Squad for South Africa   Squad for South Africa EmptyTue Jul 10 2007, 15:16

Yes, sadly contract means nothing at all nowadays.
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

PostSubject: Re: Squad for South Africa   Squad for South Africa EmptyTue Jul 10 2007, 15:25

to the contrary James... the length of contract is becoming so important especially after what happened to Ms. R. Sol Campell CBE. If Lennon's got 5 years left we have a 3 years window where we don't even need to think about selling - only a ridiculous bid would tempt us and would probably be to the clubs benefit if that was the case. However the story becomes so different with 2 years left... a 10m player will become 5m by the time the contract is down to 1 year - so 2 years you either sign a new deal or you get sold at close to your peak valuation - as was the case with Carrick.

Look at the way WBA are holding out for Curtis Davies - his price is rocketing up as they probably have him locked up in contract for a few more years and only a crazy bid will see him leave.
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

PostSubject: Re: Squad for South Africa   Squad for South Africa EmptyTue Jul 10 2007, 15:30

Tottingham wrote:
to the contrary James... the length of contract is becoming so important especially after what happened to Ms. R. Sol Campell CBE. If Lennon's got 5 years left we have a 3 years window where we don't even need to think about selling - only a ridiculous bid would tempt us and would probably be to the clubs benefit if that was the case. However the story becomes so different with 2 years left... a 10m player will become 5m by the time the contract is down to 1 year - so 2 years you either sign a new deal or you get sold at close to your peak valuation - as was the case with Carrick.

Look at the way WBA are holding out for Curtis Davies - his price is rocketing up as they probably have him locked up in contract for a few more years and only a crazy bid will see him leave.

Yes, you are right and perhaps I should phrase it better. I mean nowadays contract is not being honoured. It is here to be broken. When you have a 5 year contract, you are not looking to stay at the club for the length of the contract, but rather what 'damages' one can obtain for breaching the contract.
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

PostSubject: Re: Squad for South Africa   Squad for South Africa EmptyTue Jul 10 2007, 16:14

exactly - your contract is now essentially up once there is two years left to run!!
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: Squad for South Africa   Squad for South Africa EmptyTue Jul 10 2007, 16:41

Curtis Davies signed a 5 year extention last summer.

Can't say I'm over excited at the prospects of signing another centre half.

How about a midfielder Mr Jol ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Squad for South Africa   Squad for South Africa Empty

Back to top Go down

Squad for South Africa
Page 1 of 1