Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

Martin Jol is going nowhere

Go down 
+3
James
eldenng
GDG
7 posters
AuthorMessage
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

Number of posts : 2576
Registration date : 2007-06-06

Martin Jol is going nowhere Empty
PostSubject: Martin Jol is going nowhere   Martin Jol is going nowhere EmptySun Aug 19 2007, 23:56

I have never before (or maybe only once) claimed to have had any inside information on the inner workings of THFC, but I have been told today by someone who has VERY good sources within the club, but who wishes to remain anonymous for a number of reasons, that there are no plans to remove Martin Jol.

I'm sure the "no smoke without fire" brigade will continue to shout from their orange boxes, but this information is given out in the hope that it can help to allay the fears of the not-so-vocal majority and allow us to get behind BMJ and the team and get on with the season.

To repeat: as things stand at the moment, BMJ is going nowhere, get used to it.
Back to top Go down
eldenng
David Tuttle
David Tuttle
eldenng

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2007-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Martin Jol is going nowhere   Martin Jol is going nowhere EmptyMon Aug 20 2007, 00:03

GDG wrote:
I have never before (or maybe only once) claimed to have had any inside information on the inner workings of THFC, but I have been told today by someone who has VERY good sources within the club, but who wishes to remain anonymous for a number of reasons, that there are no plans to remove Martin Jol.

I'm sure the "no smoke without fire" brigade will continue to shout from their orange boxes, but this information is given out in the hope that it can help to allay the fears of the not-so-vocal majority and allow us to get behind BMJ and the team and get on with the season.

To repeat: as things stand at the moment, BMJ is going nowhere, get used to it.

then do you know that is Spurs gonna buy Guti or Taylor by the transfer window? also, thanks for your information about JOl
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

PostSubject: Re: Martin Jol is going nowhere   Martin Jol is going nowhere EmptyMon Aug 20 2007, 00:07

Nope, just the one piece of news, but it comes from a very good source.
Back to top Go down
eldenng
David Tuttle
David Tuttle
eldenng

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2007-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Martin Jol is going nowhere   Martin Jol is going nowhere EmptyMon Aug 20 2007, 00:14

thz,GDG
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495

PostSubject: Re: Martin Jol is going nowhere   Martin Jol is going nowhere EmptyMon Aug 20 2007, 01:03

Not from Robbert by any chance Wink
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

PostSubject: Re: Martin Jol is going nowhere   Martin Jol is going nowhere EmptyMon Aug 20 2007, 01:06

Nope, though it would be useful if he could drop us a few tidbits. According to the paper last week it was Robbert who was in Brazil talking to Palmeiros about a link up and analysing the structure of their club.
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

PostSubject: Re: Martin Jol is going nowhere   Martin Jol is going nowhere EmptyMon Aug 20 2007, 09:50

Also posted last night by Boring Old Fan, one of our SC mods, who has very good links in to the club:

Quote :
Andrew, as I know you are always in the chatroom, can I provide you with the current position please.

Re Ramos, Klinsmann etc - We are not negotiating with any managers about the replacement of Martin Jol at this time. We are an ambitious club and it is a realistic ambition that we should look to CL qualification, so anything that looks like we may not make it is bound to lead to speculation and we fully expect that. No manager's future is decided on one or two games and it is insulting to suggest that this board would do that.

Re Martin and Damien - they have a good working relationship - the football management board works - no player comes into this club that Martin doesnt agree to - it would be ludicrous to suggest that money would be spent on players Martin did not favour and whom he would not then play, Damien has brought talent to the club with Martin's approval - and we would not have players like Berbatov and Bale without him to mention but two (there are obviously many more).

Re left position - always difficult as evidenced by the fact that the majority of prem teams (Liverpool a notable exception) play a right footer on the left. We have Lennon, Malbranque (who played a blinder on the left yesterday) Bale and Keane. So we have many options and yet we will still look as depth is a key factor of the squad.

Please let me know if any rumours running amok that I have not answered here - will be happy to! best regards,

Been a blaze of discussion overnight on the boards, let's hope that my and his info is correct or SC is gonna get badly flamed by Spurs fans from all corners of the globe.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Martin Jol is going nowhere   Martin Jol is going nowhere EmptyMon Aug 20 2007, 10:46

Its highly unlikely Jol will be sacked after just three games. We didn't have a dreadful season last year, nor are there any obvious candidates to replace Jol.

I'm sure he will remain this season. I agree with something Ozspur said - if we fail to finish top four Jol will probably resign.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: Martin Jol is going nowhere   Martin Jol is going nowhere EmptyMon Aug 20 2007, 10:55

Having said that ........

David Hytner
Monday August 20, 2007
The Guardian

Martin Jol fears Tottenham are about to sack him and wants clarity from Daniel Levy, the chairman, about his future. The manager watched his team beat Derby County 4-0 at White Hart Lane on Saturday to win their first points of the season but has been alarmed to hear "whispers" that his days are numbered.
Jol was also distressed to learn that Tottenham directors had met Juande Ramos, the Sevilla manager, in Spain on Friday. John Alexander, the club secretary, was pictured with Ramos, and Paul Kemsley, the vice-chairman, was also present.

Tottenham are determined to finish in a Champions League qualifying spot this season and Levy has concerns as to whether Jol, who has two years left on his contract, can deliver that. "We are a club that are aiming for the top four, so we have to accept that there will be speculation if it appears that things are not going to plan," said a club spokesman. "But we are not at this point in time negotiating with any manager to replace Martin Jol."
Jol said: "I thought that there were whispers last year and there will be whispers at any club all the time. The only thing for me is that it was a bit early [in the season]. But as a foreigner, you have to prove yourself. The top five clubs have foreign managers so that is not easy to take on the chin, you know. So I have to do better."

The bookmaker Coral suspended betting on the first managerial casualty of the Premier League season after several punters placed unusually high wagers on Jol. Coral initially closed its book on Friday afternoon before reopening it later. Coral again closed its book yesterday.

Jol had been 50-1 with Coral to be the first Premier League manager sacked but he came in to 10-1 after Spurs lost 3-1 at home to Everton on Tuesday. That shortened further to 9-2 and then a clutch of bets of around £400 on Friday caused Coral to become wary. The Football Association hopes information was not leaked from Tottenham and intends to investigate.

"We take reports of suspicious betting activity in football very seriously and will be gathering as much information as we can in the coming days," said an FA spokesman. "We have clear rules on betting, which cover the use of insider information, and we will be looking to see if any rules have been broken."

Coral do not suspect foul play. "We have had dialogue with the FA and other bodies with regard to issues that relate to the integrity of sporting events but in this instance, we have no concerns," said Simon Clare, the company's spokesman.

Jol feels he deserves more time. "I always think of David Moyes and Everton," he said. "He had a very good year [finishing fourth in 2005] and the year after was horrendous and no one said anything. And now they have a very good team and he will challenge for the top six. You should leave me be. If you are Arsenal or Liverpool, how many players would you take from our team? If it is more than six or seven, we have to be fourth but if it is only one or two, then fifth is over-achieving."

Jol, who took over from Jacques Santini in November 2004, has endured a difficult start to the season. His team lost to Sunderland and Everton before beating Derby but are in no worse a position than they were this time last season. Jol has also been undermined by injuries, most notably in defence. He has been without Ledley King, the captain, Michael Dawson and Gareth Bale, all of whom would expect to feature in his first-choice defence. Aaron Lennon, the winger, is another casualty
Back to top Go down
Janek
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Janek

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Martin Jol is going nowhere   Martin Jol is going nowhere EmptyMon Aug 20 2007, 11:15

Thank you for the ITK GDG.

However, have you seen the English papers this morning? It is not just the rags like the Sun talking about Jol going, it is also the Independent, the Telegraph and the Times. They all talk about rifts between Levy/Jol and Commoli/Jol, meaning that the club is looking at other managers to replace him in the intl break at the beginning of September, most probably either Ramos, Hughes or Redknapp.

I notice that Jol is defending himself in the press a lot over the weekend, pointing to his record of points haul and 5th place finishes, comparing himself to Moyes and also saying that only 2 of our players wd get into Liverpool or Arsenal's team, so 5th place is the best he can hope for. He must know therefore that the axe is hovering.

Also, the bookies have slashed their odds on Jol being sacked and Coral even suspended bets cos they taken so many big bets on Thurs and Friday on him going.

Further, did you see Mido's quotes about Tottenham being filled with "politics"? I imagine this is a reference to Jol/Commoli if the rumours are true, perhaps Jol picking players that he identified rather than those from Commoli.

This fella Kemsley seems to be taking a key role and he obviously knows nothing about football as he wants Harry Redknapp as the next manager. No thank you.

All in all, this is very disappointing. As ever, the bloody people running the club are mucking things up when we're on the brink of doing something great. I really hope Jol stays as I think we owe him the time to get things right. However, if we get less than 4 points out of the next two games away at United and Fulham, I can see Jol being sacked at the beginning of September and Ramos replacing him. The bookies agree if you look at their odds and they don't often get things wrong.

It is never dull being a Spurs fan, but it is bloody frustrating.

As the fans were singing at the end of the game on Saturday: I love Martin Jol, Martin Jol loves me.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2007-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Martin Jol is going nowhere   Martin Jol is going nowhere EmptyMon Aug 20 2007, 13:49

I agree...there is no smoke without fire. We lose the next couple of games (highly likely) and Jol is out. Yet, as a club and looking at things in black and white you can see why there is a whispering campaign. Losing to Sunderland is unacceptable. Getting trashed at home (no 1-0's here) by Everton is unacceptable. If we lost against Derby that would have been it. I believe Jol is a few games away from the chop but I would hate to see him go. He has been great for us on so many levels and Spurs have been very very sly in the way they are going about getting a new guy in. It's not how you treat somebody that has us 5th two season on the bounce.

As I said at the start of the season, if we see ourselves as CL material then Jol is not our man. The board obviously target top 4. I'm happy with Europe so for me, Jol should have more time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.spursinhongkong.com
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: Martin Jol is going nowhere   Martin Jol is going nowhere EmptyMon Aug 20 2007, 16:53

Although Jol has spent a large sum it has to be remembered Spurs are playing catch up and the top four aren't standing still.

Furthermore, our tight wage structure ( which I agree with ) has denied Jol the opportunity to sign several players - Petrov, Duff, Parker to name just a few.
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

PostSubject: Re: Martin Jol is going nowhere   Martin Jol is going nowhere EmptyMon Aug 20 2007, 17:58

Where's my post gone?
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495

PostSubject: Re: Martin Jol is going nowhere   Martin Jol is going nowhere EmptyMon Aug 20 2007, 18:07

Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

PostSubject: Re: Martin Jol is going nowhere   Martin Jol is going nowhere EmptyMon Aug 20 2007, 18:23

Interesting. Maybe I posted it in the wrong thread, but I thought I'd put it in here. Thanks James.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: Martin Jol is going nowhere   Martin Jol is going nowhere EmptyMon Aug 20 2007, 18:30

Are we approaching the same stage with Jol that Chelsea were at with Ranieiri - an inability to see him taking us any further ? If so, then surely you make that decision now.

I would not get rid of Jol - give him this year, but make sure we sign someone with a left foot in the next 11 days.

I notice that Jol has started coming up with lots of stats - he's turning into David Pleat & Gerry Francis. He now quotes us as having 125 points in 2 seasons (not that relevant - means we went backwards last year).

I'm not a huge fan of Comolli, but Jol does have a case to answer. When a signing turns out well he takes the plaudits (Berbatov) - when he doesn't he blames Comolli (Zokora).
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2007-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Martin Jol is going nowhere   Martin Jol is going nowhere EmptyMon Aug 20 2007, 18:55

GDG wrote:
Where's my post gone?

i didn't move it either. Age GDG, age... Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.spursinhongkong.com
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

PostSubject: Re: Martin Jol is going nowhere   Martin Jol is going nowhere EmptyMon Aug 20 2007, 21:41

Well that confirms it then, another senior moment.
Back to top Go down
Ian
Welcome to Spurs In Hong Kong
Welcome to Spurs In Hong Kong
Ian

Number of posts : 38

PostSubject: Thanks GDG...   Martin Jol is going nowhere EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 14:36

I've been shocked by all the press drivel... hopefully you are right: we can get on with beating manure on Sunday, and stop having to worry about all this unsettling shite....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Martin Jol is going nowhere   Martin Jol is going nowhere Empty

Back to top Go down

Martin Jol is going nowhere
Page 1 of 1