Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

The time is nigh

Go down 
+2
spur'don
Number 10
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Number 10
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
Number 10

Number of posts : 2315
Registration date : 2007-06-08

The time is nigh Empty
PostSubject: The time is nigh   The time is nigh EmptySun Sep 16 2007, 02:26

Gentlemen

BMJ has taken us a long way, but it really seems that the board were one step ahead of the fans. We have only beaten Derby. Derby. FFS. After 6 games.

BMJ had this to say (on the BBC after the game)

Tottenham manager Martin Jol:
"We should have killed them off but we didn't take our chances.

"We should have scored to go 2-0 up and then conceded from a set-piece but at 1-1 we had a good opportunity and then at 2-1 down we had two good chances.

"We took the game to them and created chances. But they were clinical and that was the difference."

Frankly, this isn't good enough. It was clear going into half-time that we would lose if we carried on in the same vein. How can we be 1-0 up at home and look at risk? 'Should have' is an excuse, a mid-table team's comment, a placebo from a team who'll settle for second best. Lennon wasn't fit, but there were no guts to play Taraabt. Bent was so obviously needed to give us pace and an outlet, but we waited til going behind to throw him on and try and salvage something. Top managers anticipate, pre-empt, analyse and act. They don't attempt to put out fires. They see the cigarette curling in the litter and do something about it.

Please forgive the poetry, but I am so dissappointed in the predictable nature of this loss. Not the score, but the way in which we lacked the conviction, tactics, attacking instinct, ruthlessness, bottle and guile to hold onto a lead.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552
Registration date : 2007-06-07

The time is nigh Empty
PostSubject: Re: The time is nigh   The time is nigh EmptySun Sep 16 2007, 02:43

100% agree. I was shocked at Jol post match comments. Please shut the door on your way out.

I'm still puzzled how you got back before us James !
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

Number of posts : 2576
Registration date : 2007-06-06

The time is nigh Empty
PostSubject: Re: The time is nigh   The time is nigh EmptySun Sep 16 2007, 08:33

Maybe his wife wrote it? I agree with some of that, but you can't legislate for your top three strikers ALL missing gilt-edged opportunities.
Back to top Go down
hongkongyid
Founding Father
Founding Father
hongkongyid

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2007-06-06

The time is nigh Empty
PostSubject: Re: The time is nigh   The time is nigh EmptySun Sep 16 2007, 10:00

GDG wrote:
but you can't legislate for your top three strikers ALL missing gilt-edged opportunities.

Absolutely.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

The time is nigh Empty
PostSubject: Re: The time is nigh   The time is nigh EmptySun Sep 16 2007, 12:00

I accept the point about the strikers.

However it was an unconvincing performance. How on earth did we go in at half time with a 1-0 lead ?

Plays Lennon on the left again. Perhaps it was too late anyway and Lennon's first game back to make much of a difference - but it shows he still hasn't learnt from his mistakes. Lennon is in effective on the left.
Back to top Go down
Bennycat
Gregor Raziak
Gregor Raziak
Bennycat

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2007-07-31

The time is nigh Empty
PostSubject: Re: The time is nigh   The time is nigh EmptySun Sep 16 2007, 12:36

And is it me or do we always sit back and let teams have loads of space? If you let someone as good as Fabregas a couple of seconds on the ball he will cause damage. I don't think we can afford to have two 'ball players' like Hudd and JJ in the midfield. We need someone to mix it up and the whole team to FRICKKIN WAKE UP!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

The time is nigh Empty
PostSubject: Re: The time is nigh   The time is nigh EmptySun Sep 16 2007, 12:42

We said at the start of the season its a huge risk relying on JJ, Hudd and Zokora.

Oh dear....
Back to top Go down
Number 10
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
Number 10

Number of posts : 2315
Registration date : 2007-06-08

The time is nigh Empty
PostSubject: Re: The time is nigh   The time is nigh EmptySun Sep 16 2007, 13:29

GDG - fair enough about the strikers. And what about the Berba chance where instead of sliding it home into an open net, he took on the last man (as we re-enacted in the pub!)

Benny - completely agree that Fabregas had far too much space and the need for a Davids (Tainio?) to stop him playing.
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2007-06-14

The time is nigh Empty
PostSubject: Re: The time is nigh   The time is nigh EmptyMon Sep 17 2007, 12:57

Number 10 wrote:
GDG - fair enough about the strikers. And what about the Berba chance where instead of sliding it home into an open net, he took on the last man (as we re-enacted in the pub!)

Benny - completely agree that Fabregas had far too much space and the need for a Davids (Tainio?) to stop him playing.

... I'd play The Prince + 1 in CM against the Cypriots on Thurs and see...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The time is nigh Empty
PostSubject: Re: The time is nigh   The time is nigh Empty

Back to top Go down

The time is nigh
Page 1 of 1