Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

Air Quality

Go down 
+7
ozspur
James
colininDB
Number 10
spur'don
ezza
Daniel
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2007-06-05

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyTue Apr 08 2008, 09:28

Last few weeks my son has been very snuffly and coughing at nights, we go to Thailand for a few days and it clears up we come back and its starts again! It's not my flat as it is as clean as a whistle (I even tidy my crusty socks away these days) so it must be the air quality. Anyone else have this problem? Even if you don't have children do you find the air bad or is all hype? What say you?
Back to top Go down
http://www.spursinhongkong.com
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2007-06-06

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyTue Apr 08 2008, 10:21

Yes it's bad. My allergies have got worse in the two years since I've been here. And my asthma has reappeared. Not had it since I was about 8 years of age. But what are you gonna do??
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyTue Apr 08 2008, 10:30

I was diagnosed with asthma for the first time two years ago ( very mild ). The air quality in HK is awful but just about tolerable, thanks to a low tax system and wonderful social scene ! However, HK is nothing compared to Shanghai, Beijing and any other northern city you care to mention. Last time I had an asthma attack was in Shanghai and it scared the crap out of me.

As for Beijing 2008. I simply don't understand how its possible to hold a sporting event there. The air quality in Beijing is shocking.
Back to top Go down
Number 10
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
Number 10

Number of posts : 2315
Registration date : 2007-06-08

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyTue Apr 08 2008, 13:34

I often wake up in the morning these days and have a coughing fit, clearing all the phlegm out. Never had that before and I don't smoke.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyTue Apr 08 2008, 14:08

Most times when I look out from my DB dungeon, past the S&M gear and through slatted windows, I see nothing but misty smokey fog covering the pearl delta and hanging over HK island.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyTue Apr 08 2008, 14:34

80% from China
15% from local power stations
5% Daniel smoking cigars.
Back to top Go down
colininDB
Welcome to Spurs In Hong Kong
colininDB

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyTue Apr 08 2008, 18:55

Daniel

We have the same problem with our little daughter. Go away for a week or so and suddenly it all clears up! I suppose that is one of the aspects of living in HK.
Does make you wonder what we are doing to our kids long term health by being here though
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyTue Apr 08 2008, 18:57

Dan and Colin, I thought one of the major selling points of Discovery Bay is the relatively clean air! Think about us living in the city!
Back to top Go down
colininDB
colininDB

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyTue Apr 08 2008, 19:10

James, I agree, god knows what damage is being done to your bodies living over there. Who knows what you will all mutate to. I've seen instances already of hideous creatures in woolwich wanderers shirts roaming around.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyTue Apr 08 2008, 19:33

To be frank, there are few places in Asia with crisp, fresh air of Europe. The only two places I can think of which I've been to is Korea and Japan. ( exc Tokyo ). Siem Riep wasn't too bad either. However, Jakarta, Bangkok, KL, HCM City etc, are at best, marginally cleaner. China is significantly worse.

Singapore is okay too.
Back to top Go down
ozspur
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
ozspur

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2007-06-08

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyTue Apr 08 2008, 19:56

spur'don wrote:
To be frank, there are few places in Asia with crisp, fresh air of Europe. The only two places I can think of which I've been to is Korea and Japan. ( exc Tokyo ). Siem Riep wasn't too bad either. However, Jakarta, Bangkok, KL, HCM City etc, are at best, marginally cleaner. China is significantly worse.

Singapore is okay too.

Not when the Indonesians decide to burn off most of their remaining rainforests on Borneo and Sumatra. Then the air quality there makes HK look decidedly elysian.
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

Number of posts : 1702

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyTue Apr 08 2008, 20:23

elysian? wot does that mean? scratch
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Number of posts : 2596

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyTue Apr 08 2008, 20:43

ezza wrote:

Elysium, Paradise; In Greek mythology, the Elysian Fields were the final resting place of the blessed chosen by the gods
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyTue Apr 08 2008, 20:47

DannyBoy wrote:
ezza wrote:

Elysium, Paradise; In Greek mythology, the Elysian Fields were the final resting place of the blessed chosen by the gods

What's the oods on Smartone next slogan being

"Smartone - the only way to Elysium"
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Number of posts : 2596

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyTue Apr 08 2008, 22:38

I reckon me and Ozspur should get a percentage of Ezza's fee if that take's off!
Back to top Go down
LoubyLou
Paolo Tramezzani
Paolo Tramezzani
LoubyLou

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyTue Apr 08 2008, 23:10

spur'don wrote:
I was diagnosed with asthma for the first time two years ago ( very mild ). The air quality in HK is awful but just about tolerable, thanks to a low tax system and wonderful social scene ! However, HK is nothing compared to Shanghai, Beijing and any other northern city you care to mention. Last time I had an asthma attack was in Shanghai and it scared the crap out of me.

As for Beijing 2008. I simply don't understand how its possible to hold a sporting event there. The air quality in Beijing is shocking.

I haven't really noticed a problem tbh. But I did go to Shanghai with a cold and come back with bronchitis.

Have I mentioned that at all anywhere else on this site? Was just after some sympathy!!!!
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyWed Apr 09 2008, 09:23

colininDB wrote:
Daniel

We have the same problem with our little daughter. Go away for a week or so and suddenly it all clears up! I suppose that is one of the aspects of living in HK.
Does make you wonder what we are doing to our kids long term health by being here though

I agree, what are we doing to our children in the name of career? The air seems to have cleared up today but I expect another plume of grey smog to appear before the end of the week.
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

Number of posts : 1015

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyWed Apr 09 2008, 10:35

the china effect will weaken thru the summer months as the winds come from the south - usually leaving less pollution replaced by the unbearable heat and humidity, resulting in the return of Ms Betty Swollocks.
Back to top Go down
Barry Lineker
Andy Booth
Andy Booth
Barry Lineker

Number of posts : 551
Registration date : 2007-08-15

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyMon Apr 14 2008, 11:16

Daniel wrote:
what are we doing to our children in the name of career? The air seems to have cleared up today but I expect another plume of grey smog to appear before the end of the week.

It really is a worry, I was in Singapore last week and the place is full of ex-pat's who have relocated down there because of the air and the effect on their kids! I pensonally find Singapore a pretty dull place, beautifully clean, but boring and as such would not really want to live there. But unless this stuff starts to get better sometime in the next couple of years it may be a decition we have to take Sad

And it's no use blaming the Mainland Chinese because most of the factories over the border are owned by HK'ers!

I think we send in BMJ to clean up this town.... :bmj:
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyMon Apr 14 2008, 11:25

even in smoggy Bangkok you can escape when you leave the city center. Where we stay on the outskirts of Bangkok the sky is always blue with no pollution and it does make a difference to my sons breathing. Hate to say it but priorities change when you drop a sprog...
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyMon Apr 14 2008, 11:32

Barry Lineker wrote:

And it's no use blaming the Mainland Chinese because most of the factories over the border are owned by HK'ers!

Most of the pollution does come from China. However, you can't point the finger at others until you put your own house in order. The vast majority of the HK population express apathy towards environmental issues. This place is light years behind other develop societies in efforts to recycle and save energy. Considering the majority have no choice other than to live in HK I'm surprised more isn't done to improve the air quality.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyMon Apr 14 2008, 11:39

so are you saying I should stop burning tyres in my living room? Well, why didn't you say so?
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyMon Apr 14 2008, 13:04

Daniel wrote:
so are you saying I should stop burning tyres in my living room? Well, why didn't you say so?

Your not taking this debate seriously are you ?

Go stand in the corner for 5 minutes and consider how your ridicule may influence government policy from introducing real ground breaking changes to tackle the awful air quality.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality EmptyMon Apr 14 2008, 13:06

we're all going to hell in a handbasket anyway. It's just pissing in the wind. We're going to all die. The day Spurs win the CL the world will end.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Air Quality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Quality   Air Quality Empty

Back to top Go down

Air Quality
Page 1 of 1