Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

Bents a bargain !

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2007-06-14

Bents a bargain ! Empty
PostSubject: Bents a bargain !   Bents a bargain ! EmptyMon May 05 2008, 08:47

http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/sitepage.asp?a=506195

Rarely has a big money signing been blasted by his own fans before he has even kicked a ball for them in anger. But this has been what Tottenham fans have been guilty of, with our record signing Darren Bent.

Not needed! A waste of money! are some of the polite comments aimed at the player.

I have always been a fan of Darren Bent and actually wanted Spurs to take a gamble on him when he was leaving Ipswich. I was excited at the prospect of him joining last summer, even though the fee was slightly higher than I would have liked, but I would have paid it anyway, as I was confident he would play a big part in our forthcoming season.

Bent always knew he was in for a tough task of displacing Robbie Keane and Dimitar Berbatov, but also Jermain Defoe, but he chose to join us, even though he was offered a better deal and a far easier task of breaking into the West Ham Side. Does he get any credit? Not one bit of it!

Spurs were put into a difficult position last summer, with the will he won't he leave rumblings of Dimitar Berbatov and also the refusal of Defoe to commit to a new deal, perhaps forcing the club into bringing a top quality striker at the expense of improving the team in other areas. Hardly Darren`s fault is it!

Ramos and Jol before him, have been extremely lucky that neither Keane or Berbatov have suffered any long term injuries, which is a dream come true to have your first choice strike pair fit nearly every game. Lucky for the coach, but unlucky for Darren Bent and Jermain Defoe.

With the sale of Jermain Defoe this January, I`m sure Bent thought he would get far more minutes on the pitch, this has been the case, but he is yet to be able to string a run of games together or strike up a telling partnership with either Berbatov or Keane, as he has had to fit into their style rather than play to his own.

When Bent has been given an opportunity to play, he has rarely been played to his strengths of playing off the shoulder of the defender and using his great pace over a short distance.

Yesterday's game at Reading was One of the few times Tottenham have built the attack around him and played Keane in behind and making himself difficult to pick up an it worked brilliantly, with both causing the Reading defence nightmares.

I hope the Spurs fans who have been so critical of Bent, watched his performance yesterday and had a change of heart about his ability. I honestly believe if he is given the opportunity next season, he will have a great season and prove that at 16.5 million he was an absolute bargain!
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2007-06-06

Bents a bargain ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bents a bargain !   Bents a bargain ! EmptyMon May 05 2008, 13:53

I agree, I thought he played very well on Saturday.

It really is an indictment of Spurs fans that they'd much rather blame then support me.

After a great run and a shot on target from an extremely tight and difficult angle, everyone was initially blaming him for not scoring?! I doubt many strikers would have scored from there.

It was also his powerful bursting run and "cute" pass that set up Keane's goal, which again no one really acknowledged until I insisted on it's quality.

We're so anti-Bent we don't even give credit where and when it's due.

Poor guy, the price-tag was not his fault. I've never been a big fan at all, but he did a lot to make me start thinking otherwise on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
Number 10
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
Number 10

Number of posts : 2315
Registration date : 2007-06-08

Bents a bargain ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bents a bargain !   Bents a bargain ! EmptyMon May 05 2008, 14:40

I didn't think he was great against Reading, but perhaps need to see the game again sans beer. But I thought he did ok, and have always said that he'll do well as and when we play a system that suits him.
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

Number of posts : 1702

Bents a bargain ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bents a bargain !   Bents a bargain ! EmptyMon May 05 2008, 15:06

I think Bent is an average premiership player who looked good for a couple of seasons playing in a zhit Charlton side. On the verge of full England honours but quite frankly that doesn't say much, especially when he was kept out of the team/squad by the likes of Crouch, Defoe, Johnson and Ashton. It would be interesting to see how many goals Bent scored in those two seasons versus top 6 premiership opposition.

His transfer price was a scandal as there's very little in his game to suggest he could score 20+ goals per season for us even with an extended run in the side and playing 30-40 per season. We should cut our losses now, even if Berba goes, and invest Berba's transfer fee in two proven quality players that will give us more chance of breaking into Top 4 and winning a major cup in the next 2 - 3 seasons. Eto'o, Villa, Santa Cruz, Fabiano, Amuri, Huntaler (sp?), Hesselink, Van Nistelroy are all players we should consider ahead of Bent.

I make no apology for wanting Bent to be sold. He's not good enough. Sell him to WBA or Stoke - ready made Championship player for when both those teams return to where they belong in 09/10.
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Bents a bargain ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bents a bargain !   Bents a bargain ! EmptyMon May 05 2008, 15:37

ezza wrote:
It would be interesting to see how many goals Bent scored in those two seasons versus top 6 premiership opposition.

In 2006/7 - scored 15 goals in all competitions - 3 of which came against top 6 - Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton

in 2005/6 - scored 22 goals in all competitions - 4 of which against top 6 - Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham (2)
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

Number of posts : 1702

Bents a bargain ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bents a bargain !   Bents a bargain ! EmptyMon May 05 2008, 15:54

I'm not sure whether that's a good return or not. I wonder how that compares to Drogba, Rooney, Adebayor, Berbatov, Torres?

Get rid of Bent before it's too late. Komical Kev will surely offer us 10-12m for him?
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Bents a bargain ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bents a bargain !   Bents a bargain ! EmptyMon May 05 2008, 15:55

ezza wrote:
I'm not sure whether that's a good return or not. I wonder how that compares to Drogba, Rooney, Adebayor, Berbatov, Torres?

Get rid of Bent before it's too late. Komical Kev will surely offer us 10-12m for him?

I wonder too... too much work on to research all that!!
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2007-06-14

Bents a bargain ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bents a bargain !   Bents a bargain ! EmptyMon May 05 2008, 22:09

ezza wrote:
I'm not sure whether that's a good return or not. I wonder how that compares to Drogba, Rooney, Adebayor, Berbatov, Torres? (I think would all fetch at least twice the money).

I also think he's been unlucky that (thankfully) Keano and Berba have not had significant injuires all season. But he's still a reasonably young striker (23) who has the attitude and potential to prove his value next season.

Admittedly, Roque Santa Cruz has had a better start to his Blackburn career, but he is 5 years older and wiser.

Ultimately, I think the coaches know DB well enough by now to have reached their own conclusion and the truth is I wouldn't be surprised or dissapointed with either outcome.

What's intriguing me more, is who will start on Saturday?

Will the Club stuff Berba's 'au revoir' to the fans and play "their man" Bent, or will meritocracy apply and the best man for the job start the match?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bents a bargain ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bents a bargain !   Bents a bargain ! Empty

Back to top Go down

Bents a bargain !
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Only THFC :: Any THFC articles/internet/youtube sightings?-
Jump to: