Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny

Go down 
+9
spur'don
edman
Janek
DannyBoy
Tottingham
ozspur
Enter The Pitbull
Number 10
James
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

England's No.4
Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny Vote_lcap14%Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny Vote_rcap
 14% [ 2 ]
Czech Republic's No. 10
Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny Vote_lcap86%Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny Vote_rcap
 86% [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 14

AuthorMessage
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495
Registration date : 2007-06-06

Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny Empty
PostSubject: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 12:32

confused
Back to top Go down
Number 10
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
Number 10

Number of posts : 2315
Registration date : 2007-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 13:09

I think Robbo should be pushing for a recall, but not for this match.

Much a la Croatia (when the gloves were on the other hands, to butcher a phrase), it would be foolish to make an unforced change for such a crucial match when Cerny has played all the last 10-ish matches.
Back to top Go down
Enter The Pitbull
Gregor Raziak
Gregor Raziak
Enter The Pitbull

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2007-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 14:27

Too risky to play Blobbo. He should probably be called back for a more low-key game. Another gaffe, and in a final no less, would crush him.
Back to top Go down
ozspur
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
ozspur

Number of posts : 1063

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 14:29

After throwing his toys out of the pram, no way would I have Robbo back in the team.
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 14:37

Seems that I am the only one who voted for Robbo.

When Robbo was still our no.1 making mistakes, we all agree that we should 'drop' or 'rest' him, but I think Cerny did not do enough in this period to keep the No.1 jersey for the CCF. I am not suggesting Robbo should be back for the CCF, I say he should be back for the Slavia Prague home match as a warm-up to the CCF!

He has been dropped (or rested). *IF* he has worked his socks off to fight for the No.1 jersey in this few weeks, I do think he should win his place back from Cerny. Cerny didn't instil me with a lot of confidence and he too has made mistakes (v Man U, v Slavia Prague). Robbo had better experience than Cerny and that might prove to be the decisive factor in a cup final. Carson started the match in place of Robbo in that decisive game and costs England a place in the Euro 2008.

Yes, his reaction at being dropped was unacceptable. At least he tried to win fans over by the gesture of leading songs & chants before the Prague away game. Yes, it might be his PR stunt. But he could have continued his sulking etc. It showed how badly he wanted to win his place back. I still believe he is capable of re-discovering his form in our '5th place' season.

Last edited by on Mon Feb 18 2008, 14:53; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 14:49

Cerny awful mistake vs Slavia, confidence will be shaken... Robbo in, he's got something to prove... I'd have Robbo in on Thurs as warm up for final.
Back to top Go down
Enter The Pitbull
Gregor Raziak
Gregor Raziak
Enter The Pitbull

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 14:58

I understand what you're saying there, James, but the fact is, Pekhart revealed that Cerny has the confidence of the boys whereas Blobbo does not. Apparently Cerny puts in some amazing saves in training which had some senior players backing him.

OK, Cerny makes mistakes, but as my mate who moderates another Spurs forum said, he dropped about 2 clangers since coming into the team. This is not acceptable, but over the course of a match he makes less handling errors than Robbo was making. Robbo in his last 30 matches for spurs was averaging 2 dropped crosses per match. He also has a VERY annoying habit of parrying straight ahead rather than to the side, and "beating down" a chest height shot rather than getting his body behind it and clutching it. I've hardly seen a keeper with such a poor command of his area as the Robbo of recent times. Robbo conceded TWICE as many goals from outside the area as the next worst keeper in the prem (Hahnemann or Kirkland I think). yes you can blame the defence/mid for not closing but surely he must also take some blame.

When Cerny comes for a ball, he (generally) calls for it, and catches it, and it sticks. It makes me feel all warm and gooey inside. Robbo on the other hand, comes to get it, gets cold feet, hurls a limp wrist at it. This season I have been aghast at his handling, every time a cross comes over I get that sinking feeling, and many people I know feel exactly the same. And it is very easy to be wise after the fact but this is exactly what my Leeds supporting mate said when we signed him - Robbo is an excellent reaction man, can stop a lot of fierce shots at close range - but anything from long-range and he is TOAST. That said, his clear strength is kicking. But with Ramos now espousing a more stylish game, Cerny's quick roll-outs and throws mean we no longer have to be tied to Robbo's one-dimentional distribution.
Back to top Go down
Number 10
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
Number 10

Number of posts : 2315

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 15:03

An excellent and very in-depth summary there, ETP.

James. You pretty much contradicted yourself, mate.

James wrote:
I am the only one who voted for Robbo.

I am not suggesting Robbo should be back for the CCF, I say he should be back for the Slavia Prague home match as a warm-up to the CCF!

Yes, Robbo should have another chance and, if he works hard and sorts his attitude, he'll get it. But any return must now be post-CCF. The next two games are huge and a sudden change back to Robbo would be too risky.
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Number of posts : 2596

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 15:06

Nice post ETP
Back to top Go down
Enter The Pitbull
Gregor Raziak
Gregor Raziak
Enter The Pitbull

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 15:12

I think it is safe to say that neither keeper will start next season. I think Ramos wants his own man and he will probably line up (if you believe the gutter press) Kameni or Steklenberg. The latter excites me, he is raw but has the potential to be the next Van Der Sar. Other keepers I would like to see include Rene Adler, who is the best young keeper in Germany right now IMO. Another keeper we have been linked with, Yohann Pele, is an absolute beast although he is a bit slow for my liking.

Funny, just as I was typing that, my mate texted me "Tottenham want David James to replace out of form Paul Robinson."
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 15:18

Number 10 wrote:
An excellent and very in-depth summary there, ETP.

James. You pretty much contradicted yourself, mate.

James wrote:
I am the only one who voted for Robbo.

I am not suggesting Robbo should be back for the CCF, I say he should be back for the Slavia Prague home match as a warm-up to the CCF!

Did I contradict myself? What I am saying is that he should be back for the coming Slavia home game, so that he will have some match fitness before the CCF.
Back to top Go down
Janek
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Janek

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 15:19

I agree with ETP. I think Cerny shd be given another chance and only dropped if he makes another clanger. After all, Ramos kept picking Robbo until he made himself almost unpickable with that f*ck up against Reading.

The one player ETP doesn't mention in terms of next season is the Livorno keeper Marco Amelia. If you believe what he and his agent are saying, we nearly signed him in January and we want him in the summer. I don't know anything about him, never seen him play.

I can't see us singing James, I think that is just his agent trying to scare Pompey into giving him a bumper new deal.

Another point, I still don't think we have a replacement for Segers as the goalkeeping coach. Perry Suckling must be doing it, but surely we need someone new in place for next season.
Back to top Go down
Enter The Pitbull
Gregor Raziak
Gregor Raziak
Enter The Pitbull

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 15:24

I also know of the Amelia interest (and did actually think of him as I did that list above) but I haven't seen him as often as the others. I don't watch much Serie A these days but he doesn't strike me as being any better than those I mentioned. He is also relatively small for a modern keeperat around 6 feet tall, which in itself is not fatal but I'm not convinced it is ideal. Mind you he has been capped at full level for Italy and they have a whole bunch of great keepers so he can't be that bad.
Back to top Go down
Janek
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Janek

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 16:26

I still maintain that this is the fella we shd get:

Bolton goalkeeper Jussi Jaskelainen, who is out of contract in the summer, will open talks with Celtic. (Daily Mirror)
Back to top Go down
Enter The Pitbull
Gregor Raziak
Gregor Raziak
Enter The Pitbull

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 16:50

Janek wrote:
I still maintain that this is the fella we shd get:

Bolton goalkeeper Jussi Jaskelainen, who is out of contract in the summer, will open talks with Celtic. (Daily Mirror)

no no no!

This fella:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIK8NAEyu0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IHNnEQPBSw&NR=1
Back to top Go down
edman
Merchandiser Supreme
Merchandiser Supreme
edman

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2007-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 16:54

there is a different culture between changing players & goalkeeper.

to change a player: they either too tired, no performance, or the coach wish to try new stuff. 1-2 new doesn't play good, he still have another 8-9 to cover him.

to change a goalkeepr: the only reason is the 1st GK play very shit. as we all know cerny did make mistake but not to a level of unacceptable ( like rob b4 ). if rob happen to come back, he will need sometime to join in with our new def. line. since if he come back this time, it will be the last chance to prove himself in his career. anymistake, he will be finished. the stress may effect his play.

in conclusion: we can't afford to take such risk.
Back to top Go down
ozspur
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
ozspur

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 18:40

ETP has argued the reasons why we should not restore Robbo as Tottenham's No.1 very clearly and I agree totally with everything he says. Robbo has been poor ever since the WC Finals in Germany when he showed clear signs of losing form. He was hesitant, did not communicate well with his backline and flapped at several crosses. Then came the Croatia debacle and the unbelievable excuses that came with that, such as the defender should not have passed back in that way etc. His performances for Tottenham were equally suss but we kept faith with him, possibly for far too long. When he was eventually dropped, he didn't take it well. Compare his attitude to David James who's had so much muck thrown at him over the years but simply knuckles down and does his best. No, Robbo will be shipped out in the summer. It will do him a world of good to start over at a new club, Cerny will be retained, as No.2 to whoever we get in. As for our other 'star' keeper - what's the story with him? He was once being touted as the next England keeper. He clearly isn't going to make the grade so time to send him on his way as well.
Back to top Go down
Enter The Pitbull
Gregor Raziak
Gregor Raziak
Enter The Pitbull

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 18:45

ozspur wrote:
As for our other 'star' keeper - what's the story with him? He was once being touted as the next England keeper. He clearly isn't going to make the grade so time to send him on his way as well.

If you mean Alnwick, the internet rumour is that once he actually came to the club, Segers monitored him in training and told Comolli he was nowhere near good enough to play for Spurs. It was a massive boob on our part, allegedly.
Back to top Go down
ozspur
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
ozspur

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 18:46

Enter The Pitbull wrote:
ozspur wrote:
As for our other 'star' keeper - what's the story with him? He was once being touted as the next England keeper. He clearly isn't going to make the grade so time to send him on his way as well.

If you mean Alnwick, the internet rumour is that once he actually came to the club, Segers monitored him in training and told Comolli he was nowhere near good enough to play for Spurs. It was a massive boob on our part, allegedly.

Yes, it was Alnwick - just couldn't remember his name. So, yet another potentially good player hitting the skids at WHL.
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 19:01

Enter The Pitbull wrote:
ozspur wrote:

There was also a rumour with him being involved in a rape case. He has been dropped from the reserve squad since the story was published...about 1/2 year ago?
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 19:02

and our reserve keeper, Tommy Forecast, is now on crutches.

How do I know? He told me on facebook!

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Janek
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Janek

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 19:23

James wrote:
Enter The Pitbull wrote:
ozspur wrote:

There was also a rumour with him being involved in a rape case. He has been dropped from the reserve squad since the story was published...about 1/2 year ago?

Alnwick is now on loan at Leicester.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 20:05

Absolutely Cerny should remain number 1 for cup final. The only way he won't is he is makes another glaring error against Prague at WHL.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 20:10

Enter The Pitbull wrote:
I think it is safe to say that neither keeper will start next season. I think Ramos wants his own man and he will probably line up (if you believe the gutter press) Kameni or Steklenberg. The latter excites me, he is raw but has the potential to be the next Van Der Sar. Other keepers I would like to see include Rene Adler, who is the best young keeper in Germany right now IMO. Another keeper we have been linked with, Yohann Pele, is an absolute beast although he is a bit slow for my liking.

Funny, just as I was typing that, my mate texted me "Tottenham want David James to replace out of form Paul Robinson."

James is out of contract in the summer. I doubt we'll sign him. At 37 or 38 yrs his form will begin to detoriate quickly.
Back to top Go down
kevinyip714
David Tuttle
David Tuttle

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2007-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny EmptyMon Feb 18 2008, 20:33

A guy who's committed two errors in say.... 10 games.

The another guy who's committed uncountable errors over the 2seasons.

you decide Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny   Who should start the CCF - Robbo or Cerny Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next