Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

Radek Cerny: My First Love

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Enter The Pitbull
Gregor Raziak
Gregor Raziak
Enter The Pitbull

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2007-08-02

Radek Cerny: My First Love Empty
PostSubject: Radek Cerny: My First Love   Radek Cerny: My First Love EmptyThu Feb 14 2008, 15:09

Cerny happy to visit his first love as Tottenham's No1

Czech goalkeeper is relishing the trip to his old club having finally established himself at Spurs

David Hytner in Prague
Thursday February 14, 2008
The Guardian

It is doubtful whether St Valentine could have scripted it better. First love, a difficult parting, the emotional reunion; all the ingredients are in place for Radek Cerny, the Tottenham goalkeeper, as he realises a dream on his homecoming to Prague.
Cerny will complete a remarkable journey when he lines up tonight in the first leg of the Uefa Cup last-32 tie against Slavia Prague, the club he joined as a six-year-old and represented for 25 years and which enjoys a unique place in the hearts of his family.

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the draw was made in December he had made 12 appearances in nearly three years at Tottenham. His back-up status was clearly defined and he could not see a way past Paul Robinson. The past five weeks, however, have brought whirlwind transformation. Juande Ramos, the manager, unsettled by the frequency of Robinson's errors, chose to promote Cerny for the Carling Cup semi-final first leg at Arsenal. He has not looked back since.
Cerny was guilty of a handling error in the 3-1 FA Cup defeat at Manchester United at the end of last month, which presented Cristiano Ronaldo with the game's final goal with two minutes left, but that apart he has emerged with credit in a defence which appears revitalised. The 33-year-old has a Wembley appearance in the Carling Cup final against Chelsea on Sunday week to look forward to but, at present, he has eyes only for Slavia.

"The emotions are really great," said Cerny, who made more than 200 appearances for Slavia and won the Czech Cup twice. "Although there are only four players still in the team from when I left, there are many people here that I know. There have been plenty of phone calls in recent weeks. I am glad to be back."

His bond with Slavia runs deep. He grew up on the next street to their stadium and to tales about them from his late father, a goalkeeper who started out as a youngster at the club before playing in the Czech third and fourth divisions. Cerny's older brother, Petr, another goalkeeper, also made his way at Slavia.

Having played for the club's junior teams, Cerny became one of the first students to be admitted to the Slavia academy, which was set up by the communist government of the time. He turned professional in 1993, as a 19-year-old, and was promptly loaned to three Czech clubs. He did not return until 1997; he has long recognised the virtue of patience. His break, though, came the following year when Jan Stejskal, the first-choice goalkeeper, was sold to Queens Park Rangers.

"For about seven or eight games [at the start of the 1998 season] there were two Cernys on the teamsheet," he smiled. "I took over from Stejskal and my brother Petr stepped in to be my No2. I'm sure it's a pub quiz question in Prague."

He agonised over leaving Slavia - he joined Tottenham on an initial 18-month loan in January 2005 - but the fondness with which he is remembered was illustrated last season when he returned for a Uefa Cup qualifying tie. Although he was an unused substitute, the home support chanted his name throughout.

"It was a great experience last year when I was on the bench and if I play this time it will be very special for me," said Cerny, who can expect his family to turn out in force at the Stadion Evzena Rosickeho. "I have many memories from my time at Slavia and my favourite was from my early days as the No1, when I saved the vital penalty in a shoot-out against Schalke in the Uefa Cup. I will just do my best as usual, if selected."

He is out of contract in the summer and the club have yet to discuss an extension with him. Ramos was tight-lipped on the subject last night and there appeared to be the frisson of nerves about Cerny, a slight discomfort at being the centre of attention. His hot date looms.

Tottenham Hotspur (4-4-2, probable) Cerny; Chimbonda, Kaboul, Woodgate, Lee; Lennon, Jenas, Huddlestone, Malbranque; Berbatov, Keane. Subs Robinson, Zokora, King, Tainio, O'Hara, Pekhart, Bent.

Slavia Prague (4-2-3-1, probable) Vaniak; Drizdal, Brabec, Latka, Hubacek; Suchy, Tavares; Jarolim, J Cerny, Pudil; Strihavka. Subs Vorel, Ivana, Belaid, Volesak, Kalivoda, M Cerny.

Referee C Circhetta (Switz).

King misses training

Ledley King made the trip to Prague with his Tottenham team-mates but he did not join them at their scheduled training session last night, instead working out at the hotel gym as the uncertainty over his fitness persisted. "I cannot say whether he will play [against Slavia], it will depend on the progress of his knee," said the manager, Juande Ramos, who could give no assurances about his captain's prospects for the Carling Cup final against Chelsea on Sunday week. Tomas Pekhart, the young forward signed from Slavia, has been named in the squad and he gave an insight into Ramos's uncompromising approach. "When Ramos put Paul Robinson on the bench [against Arsenal in January], Robinson did not go out for the warm-up, which made the coach even angrier," said Pekhart. "Ramos is very strict about discipline. No one has dared to challenge him." The Slavia coach, Karel Jarolim, says he is is mindful of the threat posed by Dimitar Berbatov, left, and Robbie Keane, "but it is not only them who are providing attacking options - the wide players do it as well".
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2007-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Radek Cerny: My First Love   Radek Cerny: My First Love EmptyThu Feb 14 2008, 15:11

When I first saw the title of this topic, I got VERY confused. Laughing
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Radek Cerny: My First Love   Radek Cerny: My First Love EmptyThu Feb 14 2008, 16:02

Enter The Pitbull wrote:

"For about seven or eight games [at the start of the 1998 season] there were two Cernys on the teamsheet," he smiled. "I took over from Stejskal and my brother Petr stepped in to be my No2. I'm sure it's a pub quiz question in Prague."

I'd love it if that one comes up next week !!!!! Laughing

Gives me an idea though.......SIHKQT in Prague ? Let's go international !!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radek Cerny: My First Love   Radek Cerny: My First Love Empty

Back to top Go down

Radek Cerny: My First Love
Page 1 of 1