Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

Dawson to Barcodes

Go down 
+5
Hairy
twiglet
Linesmann
Number 10
James
9 posters
AuthorMessage
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495
Registration date : 2007-06-06

Dawson to Barcodes Empty
PostSubject: Dawson to Barcodes   Dawson to Barcodes EmptyWed Mar 26 2008, 12:45

according to FTL.

I'll miss him.
Back to top Go down
Number 10
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
Number 10

Number of posts : 2315
Registration date : 2007-06-08

Dawson to Barcodes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawson to Barcodes   Dawson to Barcodes EmptyWed Mar 26 2008, 13:22

Good deal. Let's rape them for 10mil or something silly.
Back to top Go down
Linesmann
Andy Booth
Andy Booth
Linesmann

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2007-06-11

Dawson to Barcodes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawson to Barcodes   Dawson to Barcodes EmptyWed Mar 26 2008, 13:59

Ship Gardner to the North-East for a gift as well plz
Back to top Go down
twiglet
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
twiglet

Number of posts : 1266

Dawson to Barcodes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawson to Barcodes   Dawson to Barcodes EmptyWed Mar 26 2008, 14:21

Wouldn't wanna see him go. Personally think he's an asset to the squad and has plenty to offer. Has proven that with the right guidance can be a force to be reckoned with at the back. Still young and we've yet to see the best of him. And if he did go, 10mill would not be enough. We got raped 8mil for Kaboul (and 16 for Bent) so no, sorry, not enough. If we let a CD go then surely Kabouls - up

Bad move shipping him out
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2007-06-14

Dawson to Barcodes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawson to Barcodes   Dawson to Barcodes EmptyThu Mar 27 2008, 05:28

I wouldn't rush to sell Daws, but he has quite a bit of convincing to do.

Great at headed clearances, but slow with his feet and positioning. He has looked ragged at times. I'd be happy to give him another season to see how he develops with our coaches, but would not baulk at his sale if a couple of even better quality CB's are available.

As for Kaboul (and KPB for that matter), I'd very much like to see them loaned out and playing regularly in the PL for a season before selling. ... hopefully they'll do another Henry for us yet.
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

Number of posts : 1702

Dawson to Barcodes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawson to Barcodes   Dawson to Barcodes EmptyThu Mar 27 2008, 08:39

Agree with Harvey. I wouldn't sell George Daws even for 10m. Kaboul, Gardner and Rocha are way ahead in the peaking order to be shipped out. As Ray Von said, with the right guidance from Leds and Woody, Daws can be a good squad player with essential big game experience now when called upon to cover inevitable injuries. Daws also possess the right attitude, unlike some players we have. Mind you, we still need to buy another top quality centre back. Shabba.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Dawson to Barcodes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawson to Barcodes   Dawson to Barcodes EmptyThu Mar 27 2008, 10:06

Agree entirely with Ezza. affraid

If King and Woodgate remain fit Dawson will sit on the bench, however the odds on those two playing week in, week out.....

Dawson hasn't quite lived up to potential demonstrated in 05'06 and first half of last season. A bit like Robbo really - from hero to, well not quite villian but certainly not the must keep player of two seasons ago.
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Dawson to Barcodes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawson to Barcodes   Dawson to Barcodes EmptyThu Mar 27 2008, 10:31

it's all about partnership - put Daws in with someone with leadership skills at the back like King or Woody and he rarely puts a foot wrong. As long as one of the best central defensive partnership in the premierleague is available, Daws has a place in the team. He may not develop into a leader at the back, but as a sidekick he is good enough for the top level. Chances are we will have one of Woody or King available at any one time, and these 3 should be kept. If the management team feel there is a risk that both Woody and King could be out at the same time, then we must sign another leader at the back. So King, Woody, Daws and a top quality purchase in the summer and we'll be sorted at the back. Sell the remainder of the CB in the squad over daws... bye bye Kaboul - he's young, but so was Daws when he was signed and looked up for it from day one.

however, 10-12m cash on the table from those thick free-spending geordies - and another 8m woody-like purchase becomes available (not 8m on potential a la Kaboul) - show Daws the door.
Back to top Go down
Craig
Admin
Craig

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2007-09-22

Dawson to Barcodes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawson to Barcodes   Dawson to Barcodes EmptyThu Mar 27 2008, 14:59

Wouldn't want to see him go, especially not to the barcodes, but for 10-12m I think it'd be hard to resist considering how hes performed this season.
Back to top Go down
Number 10
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
Number 10

Dawson to Barcodes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawson to Barcodes   Dawson to Barcodes EmptyThu Mar 27 2008, 17:25

Hmm.

I went on the record earlier this season with my humble opinion that Dawson is at best a rather average centreback for the level we are targeting. I absolutely cannot fault his passion, workrate and positive attitude. However, and it's a big however, I am struggling to see where he has improved since breaking into the team. He is no better now that he was when he made his fine debut at Anfield a couple of years back. In summary, he's positionally naive, not the quickest, not a strong leader, and can't pass for toffee.

Sure, he can thunder in a few headers, but if he's so good at this, why don't we see him clearing the ball regularly from corners and crosses (something Ledley does all the time).

It seems that he isn't going to progress any further any time soon, and personally I would far rather hang on to Kaboul and gradually blood him into the team as the backup to Ledley and Woody. Kaboul has looked far far more comfortable coming in periodically, compared with being 1st choice at the start of the season. And Kaboul has far greater skill with the football as well asn the natural athleticism required. With good coaching he has the potential to develop way beyond Dawson.

For me, this is one of those unpopular but sensible decisions (like Jol for Ramos), that the club needs to take for the greater good. And if Levy can get 10mil+ from the Barcodes, I say go for it!
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2007-06-14

Dawson to Barcodes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawson to Barcodes   Dawson to Barcodes EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 05:33

Very valid points made Number 10.

Kaboul (*8 mil EURO's / 5 mil GBP), looks like he has far more potential than Dawson, who as you quite rightly point out, has not shown any sign of progress since he joined us.

Anyway, after we buy experienced cover for Ledley and Woody this summer, would he be content being 4th or 5th in line defender ?

I doubt it, in which case I'd rather invest that 10 -12 mil in the aforementioned players we really need.

I've always harboured the hope that he might turn out to be our own Tony Adams or John Terry in waiting, but I can't see that happening.
Back to top Go down
Number 10
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
Number 10

Dawson to Barcodes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawson to Barcodes   Dawson to Barcodes EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 11:03

Personally I don't want an Adams or a Terry. They are very old-school. Not the modern defender (compare Ledley or Woody).

Terry is a thug, a sore loser, and a blood and thunder type. He's starting to get found out now for this.

All the world's top centrebacks are, in my opinion, more cultured elegant players with pace, skill, balance and vision. Kaboul has the first three and can be coached on the last one. Dawson has none of these.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dawson to Barcodes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dawson to Barcodes   Dawson to Barcodes Empty

Back to top Go down

Dawson to Barcodes
Page 1 of 1