Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

League form under Ramos

Go down 
+8
DannyBoy
spur'don
postie
ezza
Daniel
Enter The Pitbull
Janek
Number 10
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Number 10
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
Number 10

Number of posts : 2315
Registration date : 2007-06-08

League form under Ramos Empty
PostSubject: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyThu Mar 27 2008, 18:10

Been doing a few calculations on how we've done in the league this season.

Manager__GP__W__D__L__GF__GA__GD__pts__PPG
Jol_______10__1__4__5___17__21___4___7____0.7
Allen_____1___0___0__1__1___2___-1____0___0
Ramos____20__9__5__6__42___28__+14__32__1.6

Ramos has bagged points at more than double the rate of Jol this season (let's leave aside reasons for Jol's under-performance and ENIC back-stabbing for now)
Importantly, extrapolating Ramos' form over the season = (32 / 20 x 38 ) or 38x1.6 = 61 points.

That's 5th place.

Food for thought, and cause for optimism for next season and a push towards the top of the table.
Back to top Go down
Janek
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Janek

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyThu Mar 27 2008, 18:27

Good stats.

Let's not forget that, for whatever the reasons, the team were in relegation trouble when he arrived and he turned them around almost immediately.
Back to top Go down
Enter The Pitbull
Gregor Raziak
Gregor Raziak
Enter The Pitbull

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2007-08-02

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyThu Mar 27 2008, 18:42

Janek wrote:
Good stats.

Let's not forget that, for whatever the reasons, the team were in relegation trouble when he arrived and he turned them around almost immediately.

As I have said on other boards. People like to hail Jol as some svengali of management just because he got us 5th twice but even last year it was clear the rot had set in. Leaving aside the playing style of the team, we were clearly unfit and three years into his reign, the decline and deterioration in fitness was obviously more acute than at its start. Quite frankly we had become stale and the only slight lingering regret is that if we had given Ramos a full pre-season, who knows what might have happened. As things transpired we won our trophy, guzzled our champagne, and avoided relegation. So top marks to Spurs for getting rid of the media-friendly, talks-a-good-game-but-loses-against-big-4 Jol and replacing him with The Special Juan.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2007-06-05

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyThu Mar 27 2008, 19:38

ramos
Back to top Go down
http://www.spursinhongkong.com
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2007-06-06

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyThu Mar 27 2008, 21:20

Comolli OUT
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 09:58

JOL OUT
Back to top Go down
postie
Jason Dozzell
Jason Dozzell
postie

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2007-12-04

PostSubject: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 10:09

They are impressive stats , have to admit i was a fan of Jol , maybe it was because we shared the same physical apperance , both Bald and a very ample verandah over the toy shop . Coys
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 10:10

Janek wrote:
Good stats.

Hang on, is that an admission Ezza and I were right ??

Come on Janek, spit it out....S....sss.....ssoo......ssooorrrry.
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Number of posts : 2596

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 10:11

Shocked

Don't do it Janek!
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 10:13

Come on Janek.....say it, say it, say it.
Back to top Go down
Janek
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Janek

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 10:18

spur'don wrote:
Janek wrote:
Good stats.

Hang on, is that an admission Ezza and I were right ??

Come on Janek, spit it out....S....sss.....ssoo......ssooorrrry.

Not at all.

Spurs were in relegation trouble after 10 games. After 15 games we weren't and haven't been since.

It is only after 31 games that you and Ezza admitted we were out of the woods.

I understand your pessimism. If I was brought up sarf of the river I too would have such an outlook on life.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 10:21

Apology accepted Janek.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Number 10
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
Number 10

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 10:47

Actually, Jez, the stats agree with Janek's point not yours: Spurs have not been in even remote danger of relegation since Ramos came in.

Anyway, that kind of goes off the point, which is: some people might say 'you won a cup, but you're only 11th'. The Ramos-only league table would look very different, and we'd be looking at another 5th place, plus a cup, and the whole media would be touting us as certs for the Champs League next year (let's remember that a lot of neutrals thought we'd get there this year).

On a related note, good to see Poyet coming out and stating a target of winning all 7 remaining games (which would theoretically take Ramos to 1.96 PPG!)
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 11:06

The discussion about relegation is a bit of tongue in cheek. I did consider relegation a serious threat up until we won consecutive games over the festive period - Fulham & Reading. Prior to beating Portsmouth away it was looking grim.
Back to top Go down
Number 10
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
Number 10

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 11:10

Yeah, yeah, Spurdon. You say that now. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 11:15

I like the optimisim under Ramos but we should be cautious not to hail him as our messiah yet. We have lost 2 games to Birmingham (shipping in 7 goals in 2 games) and we have not done brilliantly in Europe either (remember the draw in our last group game which put us in 2nd place of the group facing a Champ League dropout?). We did not win convincingly against Slavia Prague and we lost to PSV at home. We have notably performed better againt the big teams but have sometimes failed to perform against the lesser teams (eg Derby away, Brums etc).

The one thing which sticks in my mind about Ramos was about 2 seasons ago, it was still a 3 horse race at the final round of league games in the La Liga. Sevilla may clinch the championship if they won their game and both Barca and Real dropped points. Ramos decided to throw in the subs and reserve the first team for the UEFA Cup final (against Boro I think). Sevilla lost their league game. I don't know what I'd feel if I were a Sevilla supporter, but suffice to say that I do not agree with his approach.

I wish Ramos will succeed at Spurs. Just that I think we should not over-celebrate his early form.

Last edited by James on Fri Mar 28 2008, 11:27; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 11:19

So my question to you Mr Yeung, and the rest of this idiot board is this: Would you take Mourinho over Ramos based on what you have seen?
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 11:26

I would.

Putting aside Mourinho's tie with Chelski, he has a proven track record (Portugese league champion, Champions League with Porto, Premier League with Chelski). Ramos' track record are UEFA Cup and Spanish Cups with Sevilla. Purely for the purpose of comparison, Champ League + League Championship >>>> UEFA Cup + Domestic Cup

I think we will need to wait for next season to see how well Ramos will do in the league for us. It is too premature to judge Ramos this season.
Back to top Go down
yonderE17
Welcome to Spurs In Hong Kong
Welcome to Spurs In Hong Kong
yonderE17

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 11:27

Sorry, but it’s a meaningless comparison if you leave out the reasons. Jol had been f*cked by the board and had consequently lost the dressing room. Ramos has been working under slightly more favorable conditions.

We’ll never know what Jol would have done if he wasn’t treated the way he was (apart from maybe increasing the opening hours of the tuck shop). Likely not as well as Ramos I agree.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 11:31

but would you take Mourinho now leaving aside Jol? yes or no?
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 11:34

As much as I like General Ramos for his ambitious, enterprising and bold approach to the game, all he's proved so far over the last 3 or 4 seasons is that he's a master tactician in Cup competitions. As an "old school" Spurs supporter that's music to my ears.

However, being also a greedy bastard, I want CL footie on a consistent basis in seasons to come. Personally, I believe the General has what it takes to deliver this. Probably not next season though. However, there are two fundamental things lacking at Spurs that will work against him and he'll do very well to overcome them. Surprisingly, funding/budgets isn't one of them.

The first is the misguided DoF structure he will have to work within. For the past decade, Spurs beyond anyone else have proved this system doesn't work in English footie - 3 DoF, countless managers lay testiment to that. And this millstone aroung the General's neck is further exacerbated by the current DoF who's player recommendations and purchases thus far have exposed him as a con artist.

The second is patience, or lack thereof. This is something that the club simply does not have enough of. And this goes right through the heart of the organisation from El Presidente through to the fans......and it's not just the current crop. This has been a consistent them which leads to unecessary pressure for the last 20 years or so.

So, personally I believe the jury is still out on the General's abilities to turn us into a consistent CL candidate. It definitely won't happen next season. There will simply be too many new additions to bed in, many of which will be overseas players and this will add to the wait. Possibly the season after. But my wish is for the DoF system to be dropped, The General to be given full control and the supporters and El Presidente to chill out and enjoy a few more cup wins before wetting ourselves and demanding CL footie.
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 11:39

No, I wouldn't take Mourinho ahead of Ramos. Any muppet could have won the Portuguese league and the quality of opposition in the CL the year he won it was at best average. Then he got super lucky and won the EPL twice with a fantasy league squad which again would have been harder to lose the league then win it.

Mourinho's qualities will be proven at his next club. Put him in charge of Real, Barca or Milan and see what he delivers. I suspect he won't be so lucky.

So at this stage, I'd rather have the General at the Spurs helm, purley 'cos he's won us a cup and brought champagne football back to Tottenham. So there!
Back to top Go down
postie
Jason Dozzell
Jason Dozzell
postie

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2007-12-04

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 12:11

Well put Eric , ALL Hail El Supremo Ramos .
Back to top Go down
Number 10
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
Number 10

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 15:13

yonderE17 wrote:
Sorry, but it’s a meaningless comparison if you leave out the reasons. Jol had been f*cked by the board...

Yonder, you miss the point, mate. I mean let's not get sidetracked here on a debate on Jol, as that's not what this thread is about. It's entirely focussed on what Ramos has achieved
Back to top Go down
Number 10
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
Number 10

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos EmptyFri Mar 28 2008, 15:17

Ezza makes some good points. However, why not aim for CL next season? We finished 5th for two seasons running, Ramos-only games would have put us 5th again this season, and we have quality throughout the back and front lines. We are only 1 or 2 players away (in midfield) from cracking it, and Liverpool are no better than us.

I wouldn't want to predict a top 4 finish next year, but we'll definitely be top 6 and there's no reason not to push on a improve further.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: League form under Ramos   League form under Ramos Empty

Back to top Go down

League form under Ramos
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next