Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?

Go down 
+7
IanG
Hairy
bad_baz
GDG
Tottingham
Number 10
Daniel
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season
yes
Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Vote_lcap13%Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
no
Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Vote_lcap87%Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Vote_rcap
 87% [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 16

AuthorMessage
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2007-06-05

Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Empty
PostSubject: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyThu Jul 26 2007, 14:19

So all the parts of the puzzle are in place - the players (with more to come) the money and the best support in the league. So it's all set and, on paper, top 4 should be ours. As Number 10's post elsewehere demonstrated, there aren't many players from the ''big 4'' that we'd swap for our first 11 (only 3 of the vermins squad!)

So, the ONLY thing that can go wrong is leadership and tactics ergo one BMJ. So, emotional attachments aside, if we fail to secure top 4 this season should big Martin be on his way?
Back to top Go down
http://www.spursinhongkong.com
Number 10
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
Number 10

Number of posts : 2315
Registration date : 2007-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyThu Jul 26 2007, 14:33

If we don't make top 4 it'll be a real disappointment, that could only be compensated for by winning FA or EUFA
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyThu Jul 26 2007, 14:49

if we didn't make top 4 - I guess you have to look at it how far were we and did we show improvement season on season. has the gap got bigger? are there other teams that have shown real progress this year to compete with us as best of the rest etc... obviously if we are mid-table then something needs to be done - but missing out on top four by say 1 point (especially if there is another mendes-like decision in one of our games) and competing in all competitions should be seen as improvement despite the obvious disappointment we'd all feel. Continuity is the only way for progression, a change in management could result in several years of rebuilding.
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

Number of posts : 2576
Registration date : 2007-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyThu Jul 26 2007, 15:00

What he said. Even if we finished fifth and closed the gap significantly it can be seen as an improvement. What we REALLY hve to do is take more than 4/24 against the top 4 teams - over the last ten years our average points per season against the BIG four is 4.7 out of 24.
Back to top Go down
bad_baz
Merchandiser Supreme
Merchandiser Supreme
bad_baz

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyThu Jul 26 2007, 15:03

Um, I'm not sure what we are voting on. That he should be kicked out or will be kicked out? Personally I think it's a bit harsh. I think he has done a lot for the club and would be hard to replace. Let's not become another Real Madrid; win the League and sack you Manager!
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyThu Jul 26 2007, 15:04

I like BMJ, and even though we're improving we were a long way behind the top four last year, so, no, I wouldn't be scking him if we fail to make top four. Who would you suggest we replace him with?
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2007-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyThu Jul 26 2007, 15:06

Tottingham wrote:
if we didn't make top 4 - I guess you have to look at it how far were we and did we show improvement season on season. has the gap got bigger? are there other teams that have shown real progress this year to compete with us as best of the rest etc... obviously if we are mid-table then something needs to be done - but missing out on top four by say 1 point (especially if there is another mendes-like decision in one of our games) and competing in all competitions should be seen as improvement despite the obvious disappointment we'd all feel. Continuity is the only way for progression, a change in management could result in several years of rebuilding.

you make a lot of sense... I'm not entirely enamoured by Jol actually, but life aint perfect and so long as there is solid progress on the pitch, continuity is very, very important
Back to top Go down
IanG
Gregor Raziak
Gregor Raziak
IanG

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2007-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyThu Jul 26 2007, 15:08

I personally went with a no for various reasons, as we witnessed last season some of the big mans tactical changes were a little bizzare to say the least, but there are so many other variants that can affect a teams performance throughout a season, the amount of games we hope to be involved in (including good runs in all cups, hopefully). Injuries, fatigue etc being the obvious ones.
But the thing we have to bear in mind is that our beloved team is still very much a work in progress, some of our new signing, as promising as they may seem, are as yet untried in the top flight, yes i agree on paper they have the makings of being future superstars but just because some people label them "the new Zidane or the new whoever" does not guarentee overnight success in the premiership.
Also, we still IMHO have a lot of dead wood that needs replacing so the team building must continue as is.
Why when we are so close throw a spanner in the works and cause the total upheaval of bringing in a new boss who will have totally different ideas on who to play and where.
Did Manure turn immediately on Fergie and replace him because a few seasons didn't live up to their high expectations?
That said, the season will tell a lot on how well we have developed because as mentioned in another post, we are not the only team rebuilding at present therefore the premiership is going to be even tougher than usual owing to the money being thrown around.

Run this Poll again halfway or towards the end of the season and there might be a change of heart.
But for now......
IN JOL WE TRUST :bmj:

Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Smilie10Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Smilie11Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Smilie12Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Smilie13 Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Smilie11Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Smilie14 Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Smilie15Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Smilie11Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Smilie16 Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Smilie17Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Smilie18Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Smilie16Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Smilie19Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Smilie17Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? 92040210
Back to top Go down
twiglet
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
twiglet

Number of posts : 1266

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyThu Jul 26 2007, 23:24

Agree with most of the above. Dont think its a really clear cut black or white decsision. I mean, 4th place but a piece of silverwrae or 2. Sorry Dan but I think the poll oversimplifies a too complex question.

Anyway - Im going for 'no'
Back to top Go down
bad_baz
Merchandiser Supreme
Merchandiser Supreme
bad_baz

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyMon Jul 30 2007, 10:14

Jol: "I wouldn't be disappointed if we finished fifth again"

Oh, that's disappointing............

Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyMon Jul 30 2007, 10:43

When did he say that ?
Back to top Go down
bad_baz
Merchandiser Supreme
Merchandiser Supreme
bad_baz

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyMon Jul 30 2007, 10:56

Interview after the game on Saturday. You can listen to it on the BBC website.

Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

Number of posts : 1015

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyMon Jul 30 2007, 11:35

saving his own bacon there I presume - given the optimism of many of us spurs fans, I'm sure BMJ will try to play down expectations... there could be a very thin line between 3rd-6th place.

How we would get to fifth place again would be the most important factor - if we get 60 points and 5th place and 4th place got 72 pts... then that's disappointing, but if we are a couple of points off and in the running for most of the season then Jol might be right (with the help of some good runs in the cup competitions).
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyMon Jul 30 2007, 14:58

Has anyone watched Arsescum v Inter last night? I HATE to say this, but Arsescum is still looking very strong. The whole team is pacy and attack minded. Van Persie, Eboue, Clichy, Walcott, Fabregas, Toure, Diaby, even Denilson and Gibbs etc are all young, skilful and pacy.

Remembering the two League Cup semi finals against the Arsescum reserves last season, we could not win any of them. Henry's departure doesn't not seem to affect them too much.

Perhaps we should not be over confident about getting the 4th place in place of them. I agree that we have a decent chance of making 4th, but it is not our right to claim the 4th place.
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyMon Jul 30 2007, 15:00

We stuffed Inter too at this time last year, James. They are a couple of weeks behind England with their pre-season and are probably doing the hard miles rather than the sharp miles, thus leaving the English clubs, Arsenal in this case, looking better than they actually are.
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyMon Jul 30 2007, 15:05

GDG wrote:
We stuffed Inter too at this time last year, James. They are a couple of weeks behind England with their pre-season and are probably doing the hard miles rather than the sharp miles, thus leaving the English clubs, Arsenal in this case, looking better than they actually are.

I agree, but I am looking at their play rather than the result. Everytime they go forward, they look like they're going to score. I predict Eboue will make a huge impact this season (Hope I am wrong though).
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyMon Jul 30 2007, 15:10

James wrote:
Has anyone watched Arsescum v Inter last night? I HATE to say this, but Arsescum is still looking very strong. The whole team is pacy and attack minded. Van Persie, Eboue, Clichy, Walcott, Fabregas, Toure, Diaby, even Denilson and Gibbs etc are all young, skilful and pacy.

Remembering the two League Cup semi finals against the Arsescum reserves last season, we could not win any of them. Henry's departure doesn't not seem to affect them too much.

Perhaps we should not be over confident about getting the 4th place in place of them. I agree that we have a decent chance of making 4th, but it is not our right to claim the 4th place.

but you know what James, they have no spine or balls. They can be slick all day but a couple of tough tackles or a goal down and their heads drop. If teams sit back they look good but, as with all of Vengers teams, they don't like it when they cannot play the ''walk the ball into the net'' game. Davids knew that.
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyMon Jul 30 2007, 15:12

I've decided you've modelled your game on Davids', haven't you Daniel? In which case, maybe we should invest in a pair of wrap around shades and some natty dreads for you.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyMon Jul 30 2007, 15:14

it's cover for my lack of skill and fitness. Sad

I would love some dreads though...any tips GDG?
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Number of posts : 2596

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyMon Jul 30 2007, 15:15

I think spur'don is buying himself the wrap-around shades, he's halfway there maybe we should try and convince him to grow dreds instead.
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyMon Jul 30 2007, 15:35

Cool ----> afro
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyMon Jul 30 2007, 16:17

DannyBoy wrote:
I think spur'don is buying himself the wrap-around shades, he's halfway there maybe we should try and convince him to grow dreds instead.

If i ever get around to it !!!

I agree with James about Arsenal. We have a chance to grab 4th spot but if I go with my head, my money would still be on Arsenal.
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyMon Jul 30 2007, 16:58

Enough of your bloody realism, we've got plenty of time for that later in the season - now is the time for dreaming, and not Daniel's bloody nightmares!
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyMon Jul 30 2007, 17:20

Oh I see.

In that case....... WE'RE GONNA WIN THE LEAGUE, WE'RE GONNA WIN THE LEAGUE, AND NOW YOUR GONNA BELIEVE, NOW YOUR GONNA BELIEVE US, AND NOW YOUR GONNNNAAAA BELIEVEEEE USSSSS!!!! WE'RE GONNA WIN THE LEAGUE.
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? EmptyMon Jul 30 2007, 17:33

There, didn't that feel good? Plenty of time to get morose and demand the sacking of BMJ etc, now is the time to rejoice being a Spurs fan after we picked up our first piece of silverware for the season.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?   Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season? Empty

Back to top Go down

Jol out if we don't get top 4 this season?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next