Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

9 points from first 3 games?

Go down 
+9
StewHK
bad_baz
Daniel
spur'don
Tottingham
Enter The Pitbull
GDG
DannyBoy
James
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495
Registration date : 2007-06-06

9 points from first 3 games? Empty
PostSubject: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 14:57

Sunderland (A)
Everton (H)
Derby (H)

If we beat Sunderland on Saturday, I think we can get 9 points from the first 3 games. This will give the lads a lot of confidence heading to Old Trafford as the early leader. Get a draw there and Martin Jol will be named "Manager of the Month"!

COYS!!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Number of posts : 2596

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 15:00

Hmm Everton home last year didn't work out how I wanted...
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 15:03

DannyBoy wrote:

I lost big $$$ on that. Always a banker vs Everton - even playing away. Last season's a fluke - should make amends this season.
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

Number of posts : 2576

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 15:08

We should have 9 from 9 after three games, by which time the expectation will be MASSIVE!
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Number of posts : 2596

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 15:11

Oh dear, no pressure then lads. tongue
Back to top Go down
Enter The Pitbull
Gregor Raziak
Gregor Raziak
Enter The Pitbull

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2007-08-02

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 15:16

Please, calm down people.

As we all know, Tottenham never do what is expected of them, be it good or bad. clown
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 15:31

Please no manager of the month awards... they are always the precursor to a disastrous following month on the pitch.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 15:38

Everton's win last season was no fluke. They fully deserved it. We were awful.

I watched ESPN football focus last night. I've thought the panel got it right. We've done well not to lose key players but the defensive aspect of our game remains weak. Pascal and Bale are not defensive full backs and the midfield doesn't provide enough cover for defenders.

05'06 when we looked a serious top four contender only to fail on the last day, we had Carrick/Davids for defensive cover and King fit for majority of season.

06'07 - snatched 5th spot LAST game of season - never a top four contender - lost Carrick and King was out most of season.

Jol's spent a lot on a new striker - who I rate and expect to be a firm favourite - however scoring goals wasn't a problem last season. There's new addition to the last line of cover but nothing of any note in midfield.

Spurs will do okay this season - 5-6th, maybe a pop at 4th, however there are plenty of weak areas for opposition managers to expose.

Spurs players like for like are better than those of Everton. However, as a team, Everton are better organised and are my tip to finish 4th.

I wouldn't rule out Newcastle either.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2007-06-05

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 15:44

DannyBoy wrote:

I was at that game. Trufax.
Back to top Go down
http://www.spursinhongkong.com
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 15:48

spur'don wrote:
Quote :
I watched ESPN football focus last night. I've thought the panel got it right. We've done well not to lose key players but the defensive aspect of our game remains weak. Pascal and Bale are not defensive full backs and the midfield doesn't provide enough cover for defenders.

I hate Jamie Reeves, he's an out and out gooner, but he was fairly accurate with his assessment of our squad, albeit way too over-enthusiastic in the way he went about cutting us down.
Back to top Go down
bad_baz
Merchandiser Supreme
Merchandiser Supreme
bad_baz

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 16:14

Last time we won the first three games was the 1960/61 Season. In fact we won the first 11 games, + did the double of course. This does feel like a 'Double' year somehow.

http://www.topspurs.com/6061.htm

Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 16:17

Only one defeat before Christmas that year, could do with another run like that, couldn't we?
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 16:32

A good start to the season is KEY. The most tricky game is Sunderland (A) IMHO. If we can get past the Mackems, then who knows.
Back to top Go down
StewHK
Ramon Vega
Ramon Vega
StewHK

Number of posts : 658

PostSubject: This Season   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 16:33

spur'don wrote:
Everton's win last season was no fluke. They fully deserved it. We were awful.

05'06 when we looked a serious top four contender only to fail on the last day, we had Carrick/Davids for defensive cover and King fit for majority of season.

06'07 - snatched 5th spot LAST game of season - never a top four contender - lost Carrick and King was out most of season.

Jol's spent a lot on a new striker - who I rate and expect to be a firm favourite - however scoring goals wasn't a problem last season. There's new addition to the last line of cover but nothing of any note in midfield.

Spurs will do okay this season - 5-6th, maybe a pop at 4th, however there are plenty of weak areas for opposition managers to expose.

Spurs players like for like are better than those of Everton. However, as a team, Everton are better organised and are my tip to finish 4th.

I wouldn't rule out Newcastle either.

I agree with most of that, especially the weak areas. Despite buying some good players this season, I don't think we have enough strength at the back. Kabul, yes and Dawson is a good 'clearer' of the ball, but I would of honestly hoped for another quality centreback, knowing as we all do that King can be injury-prone. I guess you can never have enough good centrebacks, especially when we have some good attacking midfielders.

One thing that I beg to differ on is that I don't think Newcatsle will come that good this season and Everton will remain a notch or two behind us. Regarding the competition for the upper places, I'll wait till we see the first few results of the season, as there are a few unknown quantities there at the moment.

Twisted Evil

Stew.
Back to top Go down
http://www.toppundit.com
twiglet
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
twiglet

Number of posts : 1266

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 16:54

Masefield even said he expected Spurs to be batlling it out for the TITLE with 6-8 weeks remaining. But what does he know?
Back to top Go down
StewHK
Ramon Vega
Ramon Vega
StewHK

Number of posts : 658

PostSubject: Masefield   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 17:36

twiglet wrote:
Masefield even said he expected Spurs to be batlling it out for the TITLE with 6-8 weeks remaining. But what does he know?

That's interesting coming from him as he hates Spurs.

Maybe Chivers thinks that the Masefield opinion is still not representitive of the masses !!!

Wink

Stew.
Back to top Go down
http://www.toppundit.com
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 18:11

Sunderland is a winable game for a side with top four ambitions. You need mental toughness to go to those sort of grounds and pick up 3 points. Who are the mature heads to call upon for leadership and experience if we're leading 1-0 with 10 minutes to go. Can we bolt the door this season ?? We're know a bit more by Saturday night. A win against Sunderland gives me confidence on our away travels to Derby, Reading, Fulham, Birmingham, Wigan and perhaps Boro.

Everton are an organised side who know how to distrupt our game plan. Difficult defence to break down, plenty of energy with a never say die attitude. Beat Everton and I'll feel confident playing the likes of Blackburn, Portsmouth, Bolton and Villa.

Derby at home - 3 points. Nothing else to say.

Man Utd away - okay, difficult place to go, however in past seasons we put on a semi decent performance but you can sense there isn't the believe from players and supporters in coming away with 3 pts ( or 1pt). Its as though we're content to put on a display to suggest the gap has narrowed despite losing.

Spurs can finish 5th without collecting points from the top four.

However to break into the elite its important to get 12 points from 24 pts from the big guns, minimum.

That's when I'll start to believe Spurs have broken the mould.
Back to top Go down
hongkongyid
Founding Father
Founding Father
hongkongyid

Number of posts : 356

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 19:30

twiglet wrote:

He knows how to gel his hair!!
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 19:35

haha..yes he does. Mase - a tribute to the 80's
Back to top Go down
Enter The Pitbull
Gregor Raziak
Gregor Raziak
Enter The Pitbull

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2007-08-02

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyWed Aug 08 2007, 22:32

Paul "He does ever so well there, the big lad" Masefield

A walking cliche factory
Back to top Go down
yawa
Welcome to Spurs In Hong Kong
Welcome to Spurs In Hong Kong

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2007-07-30

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyThu Aug 09 2007, 01:14

Id be happy with 7... but 9 ideally.

Think we need our home form back from 2 seasons ago if we are going to push for 4th.
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyThu Aug 09 2007, 08:59

And we need to take more than 4/24 off the top four. As I've posted elsewhere, in the last ten years our average points per season against the "top four" has been 4.7/24, which is pathetic.
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

Number of posts : 1702

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyThu Aug 09 2007, 09:43

9 from 9 should be a must for us.
14 from 24 should be the target against the top 4 this season.
And no less than 16 from 18 from the bottom 3 will do.

Second best is for losers!

C'mon :bmj: and Berba king We're all behind you.
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyThu Aug 09 2007, 09:50

Daniel's not going to be happy with that level of pressure on the squad, he's going to need serious beer on Saturday tao calm him down. "Come on Tot'nam!"
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? EmptyThu Aug 09 2007, 11:46

GDG, you make one sound awfully common Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 9 points from first 3 games?   9 points from first 3 games? Empty

Back to top Go down

9 points from first 3 games?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next