Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

Defoe only a LOAN deal...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2007-06-14

Defoe only a LOAN deal... Empty
PostSubject: Defoe only a LOAN deal...   Defoe only a LOAN deal... EmptyMon Feb 04 2008, 09:55

Shocked ...

Portsmouth have admitted that Jermain Defoe's move to the South Coast from Tottenham is only a loan deal, but they are confident a permanent arrangement will be finalised next week.

Defoe made an immediate impression at his new club on Saturday, when his debut goal earned Portsmouth an impressive point against Chelsea.

Portsmouth's faithful saluted a new favourite at the game's conclusion, but revelations in a Sunday newspaper claimed they had yet to conclude a permanent transfer for the 25-year-old.

A club spokesman has now come out to clear up the situation, explaining that an initial loan arrangement was struck due to time constraints.

"The Defoe transfer was done as an initial loan because of time restraint.

"The full documents will be signed and registered this week and this is a standard method when you have little time."

Defoe's move to Portsmouth was always dependent on Benjani Mwaruwari being sold to Manchester City, a move that is still in doubt, after his switch to Eastlands ran out of time before Thursday night's transfer deadline.

Benjani currently finds himself in limbo, staying in a Manchester hotel, but Portsmouth are confident his move will be ratified just as soon as the Premier League complete their investigation over why forms from City to register the Zimbabwean did not arrive in time.

Pompey boss Harry Redknapp said: "I honestly could not tell you the exact details but (at five minutes to midnight on Thursday) the two deals were dependent on each other with us getting ?million for Benjani and spending it on Defoe.

"I feel for Benjani because at the moment he seems to be the big loser in all this, but hopefully it will all be sorted out on Monday and I think he will end up as a Manchester City player.

"If not, from a greedy football manager's point of view, I'd be delighted to get Benjani back. I didn't want to lose him in the first place but, of course, I had to because it is good business to sell a 29-year-old and get in a lad of 25 who is always going to get you goals.

"The owner has spent a lot of money here already. He's been fantastic for me and it wouldn't be fair on him if he has to spend more now (with nothing coming back)."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3105938,00.html

So what if the Premier League do not accept Benjani's transfer to Citeh, does Defoe head back to WHL ?

Last edited by on Tue Feb 05 2008, 00:11; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bad_baz
Merchandiser Supreme
Merchandiser Supreme
bad_baz

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Defoe only a LOAN deal...   Defoe only a LOAN deal... EmptyMon Feb 04 2008, 22:25

I really don't get this 'Defoe on loan' story. I thought the whole point of selling him was because he wouldn't sign a new deal and could walk at the end of next season? If he is only on loan until the end of this season we are right back where we started come the summer. He goes back to WHL, no new contract and a season away from following R-Sol Campbell.
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

PostSubject: Re: Defoe only a LOAN deal...   Defoe only a LOAN deal... EmptyTue Feb 05 2008, 00:23

"The Defoe transfer was done as an initial loan because of time restraint.

"The full documents will be signed and registered this week and this is a standard method when you have little time."

What the hell IS HH talking about FFS ... either the so-called journalists have selective hearing or the proverbials are going to hit the fan.

Why would we agree to a loan deal (as claimed by HH to have been registered) and see Defoe's value decrease further, or he/Commoli have tried to pull the wool over the Premier League's eyes and fucked up.. in which case, I"ll grab my hat !
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2007-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Defoe only a LOAN deal...   Defoe only a LOAN deal... EmptyTue Feb 05 2008, 08:55

This is all a result of the ridiculous transfer window system. Of course club chairmen, managers and agents are going to leave things to the last minute to wangle the best deals. Hence the debacle with Benandjerry going to Citeh and Defoe to Pompey. Janek mentioned this is a favourite Levy negotiating tactic. I've never liked this system. Much prefer how things used to be. Then again, modern day football in general is fucked up.
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

PostSubject: Re: Defoe only a LOAN deal...   Defoe only a LOAN deal... EmptyTue Feb 05 2008, 10:00

Found it ! ..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/7221987.stm

Anyway, it looks like Benandjerry's (excellent Ezza!) is going through today anyway... still, I'm nowhere nearer uderstanding the structure "loan / sale" or registeration process made reference to. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

PostSubject: Re: Defoe only a LOAN deal...   Defoe only a LOAN deal... EmptyWed Feb 06 2008, 08:39

Defoe deal permanent, say Pompey

<table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><tr><td>Defoe only a LOAN deal... _44400830_defoe_203_get Defoe equalised for Portsmouth against Chelsea on Saturday

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Jermain Defoe has signed a permanent four-and-a-half-year contract with Portsmouth and was never on loan at Fratton Park, reports BBC Radio Solent.

The 25-year-old England striker moved to Pompey from Tottenham on transfer deadline day.
There was confusion over the terms of the transfer, with Portsmouth initially announcing Defoe had joined on loan.
But Pompey's chief executive Peter Storrie says that the deal was always a permanent one.
Storrie's claims are contrary to those of a Portsmouth spokesman, who said on Sunday: "Defoe's transfer was done as an initial loan because of time restraints.

<table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><tr><td width=5>Defoe only a LOAN deal... O</TD>
<td class=sib606>606: DEBATE
Have your say on the Defoe transfer
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Defoe scored on his Portsmouth debut in Saturday's 1-1 draw against Chelsea.
Pompey boss Harry Redknapp bought Defoe at the same time as he sold Zimbabwe striker Benjani, who finally joined Manchester City for an initial £3.87m on Tuesday.
There had been more confusion over that move, with Benjani left in limbo for five days after his move to City ran out of time on Thursday night.
Benjani's transfer went through on Tuesday when the Premier League completed their investigation into why forms from City to register Benjani did not arrive in time to beat the January transfer deadline.

With Ben&Jerry's transfer to Citeh going ahead and the cheque cleared, it appears that the potential worst appears to be over for Spurs and Defoe.

I'm not sure what Pompey's 'spokesperson' was referring to and prossibly never will. So long as everything is above board, I'm glad we don't have any bombshells or distractions to have deal with as we head to Wemberlee Wemberleee ..
but something' smells whiffy. It's blown over and I can't be bothered to comment any further on
Back to top Go down
Janek
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Janek

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Defoe only a LOAN deal...   Defoe only a LOAN deal... EmptyWed Feb 06 2008, 11:24

Agreed. Glad we got 9m quid, now let's all move on.
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Number of posts : 2596

PostSubject: Re: Defoe only a LOAN deal...   Defoe only a LOAN deal... EmptyWed Feb 06 2008, 11:31

Will be interesting to see what happens if Berbs or Keane take a knock though... *touch wood* it doesnt though.
Back to top Go down
Janek
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Janek

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Defoe only a LOAN deal...   Defoe only a LOAN deal... EmptyWed Feb 06 2008, 11:42

I still think Bent has a big part to play this season.
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Number of posts : 2596

PostSubject: Re: Defoe only a LOAN deal...   Defoe only a LOAN deal... EmptyWed Feb 06 2008, 11:52

I really, really hope so.

I wonder what his opinion on the Defoe thing is. Does he see it as a sign of the club's confidence in him? Or is he more aware of the fact that we tried to sign Fred? Also from what it seemed him and Defoe where good mates...

It'll be interesting to see how he reacts on the pitch....if he ever gets back there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Defoe only a LOAN deal...   Defoe only a LOAN deal... Empty

Back to top Go down

Defoe only a LOAN deal...
Page 1 of 1