Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

Wesley Sneijder

Go down 
+5
Tottingham
GDG
DannyBoy
Daniel
James
9 posters
AuthorMessage
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495
Registration date : 2007-06-06

Wesley Sneijder Empty
PostSubject: Wesley Sneijder   Wesley Sneijder EmptyFri Jun 08 2007, 10:40

Quote :
Tottenham Hotspur have edged ahead of Aston Villa in the battle to sign Wesley Sneijder as they are willing to pay the €15m (£10.2m) transfer fee being demanded by Ajax.

The creative midfielder, who is 23 this weekend, is also keen to team up with Spurs' Dutch manager Martin Jol and would prefer a move to London rather than Birmingham. Talks are understood to have been held with his agent, Rodger Lindse.

Ajax have already rejected a series of bids from Valencia for the Dutch international which peaked at €12m (£8.1m). He was recently watched by the Villa manager Martin O'Neill at the Dutch Cup final but Jol is believed to have the advantage in chasing his signature.

If he does arrive at White Hart Lane, it will be another bold statement of intent from Spurs who have already spent up to £10m on Gareth Bale from Southampton. The pair could link up down Spurs' problematic left-flank although Sneijder, who is genuinely two-footed, can play on either flank or through the middle. Sneijder, who played for the Netherlands in their friendly victory over Thailand on Wednesday, has been a first-team regular at Ajax for five years. He has two years on his current contract and the Dutch club has said they will hold on to him and run the risk of him going for free if they do not receive the transfer fee they are demanding. Spurs' interest in the player is even more long-standing than Villa's with Frank Arnesen's enquiring about his availability when he was sporting director two years ago.
Tottenham Hotspur have edged ahead of Aston Villa in the battle to sign Wesley Sneijder as they are willing to pay the €15m (£10.2m) transfer fee being demanded by Ajax.

The creative midfielder, who is 23 this weekend, is also keen to team up with Spurs' Dutch manager Martin Jol and would prefer a move to London rather than Birmingham. Talks are understood to have been held with his agent, Rodger Lindse.

Ajax have already rejected a series of bids from Valencia for the Dutch international which peaked at €12m (£8.1m). He was recently watched by the Villa manager Martin O'Neill at the Dutch Cup final but Jol is believed to have the advantage in chasing his signature.

If he does arrive at White Hart Lane, it will be another bold statement of intent from Spurs who have already spent up to £10m on Gareth Bale from Southampton. The pair could link up down Spurs' problematic left-flank although Sneijder, who is genuinely two-footed, can play on either flank or through the middle. Sneijder, who played for the Netherlands in their friendly victory over Thailand on Wednesday, has been a first-team regular at Ajax for five years. He has two years on his current contract and the Dutch club has said they will hold on to him and run the risk of him going for free if they do not receive the transfer fee they are demanding. Spurs' interest in the player is even more long-standing than Villa's with Frank Arnesen's enquiring about his availability when he was sporting director two years ago.

That will be some signing IMHO. Perfect No 10 player in the midfield. If I recall correctly, it was him who scored that thunderbolt for Holland v England at that friendly played at WHL.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2007-06-05

Wesley Sneijder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wesley Sneijder   Wesley Sneijder EmptyFri Jun 08 2007, 10:45

Sounds just what we need and I hope that will put Jenas on red alert. Would rather we were chasing after forwards and defenders though
Back to top Go down
http://www.spursinhongkong.com
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Number of posts : 2596

Wesley Sneijder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wesley Sneijder   Wesley Sneijder EmptyFri Jun 08 2007, 11:01

Where's the quote from? I hope I'm not getting excited over tabloid BS.

Also 23? I thought he was older than that.

Ah just checked Wikipedia apparently turns 23 tommorrow.

Also I noticed there:

"On the 8th of June, sports journalist, Nick Minty, spotted Sneijder in a Hilton hotel, with Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy. It is thought that Spurs are trying to thrash out a deal as quickly as possible to thwart of interest from Aston Villa and Valencia."

Don't know if this is just rubbish though.
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

Number of posts : 2576

Wesley Sneijder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wesley Sneijder   Wesley Sneijder EmptyFri Jun 08 2007, 11:04

It was in the Sun, but also in the Independent. Not sure if that gives it any more credibility, but here's hoping.
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Wesley Sneijder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wesley Sneijder   Wesley Sneijder EmptyFri Jun 08 2007, 11:18

He will be magical player for the Tottingham
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

Wesley Sneijder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wesley Sneijder   Wesley Sneijder EmptyFri Jun 08 2007, 12:05

http://harryhotspur.blogspot.com/2007/06/tottenham-hotspur-whos-this-sneijder.html

bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Wesley Sneijder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wesley Sneijder   Wesley Sneijder EmptyFri Jun 08 2007, 12:49

Link not working Ozzie.
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

Wesley Sneijder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wesley Sneijder   Wesley Sneijder EmptyFri Jun 08 2007, 13:00

He's right, it's not working for me either.
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

Wesley Sneijder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wesley Sneijder   Wesley Sneijder EmptyFri Jun 08 2007, 13:03

click on the link and type and "l" on the end... sorry didn't link the full address... or try clicking on my new attempt...

http://harryhotspur.blogspot.com/2007/06/tottenham-hotspur-whos-this-sneijder.html
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

Wesley Sneijder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wesley Sneijder   Wesley Sneijder EmptyFri Jun 08 2007, 13:13

That's better. He's right though, even I could be made to look good with some creative editing. They made bloody Ronaldhino look half-decent ffs!
Back to top Go down
twiglet
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
twiglet

Number of posts : 1266

Wesley Sneijder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wesley Sneijder   Wesley Sneijder EmptyFri Jun 08 2007, 14:32

would like to see him at the Lane to add to our ever incresing squad of quality. Need to get rid of or replace some of the hangers on ie Murphy, Mido etc
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

Number of posts : 1702

Wesley Sneijder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wesley Sneijder   Wesley Sneijder EmptyFri Jun 08 2007, 15:16

The boy Sneijder would be the kind of signing that pushes this club on to bigger and better things. I agree the likes of Spud Murphy should sling his hook and so too Galy. Malbranque was a little underwhelming last season, but he was injured for 6 weeks so he was playing catch up for quite sometime. He needs to improve though. Tainio is a good squad player. Huddlestone I'm not so sure about. The words "flash" and "pan" spring to mind. I like Jenas and also have lots of time for Zokora.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552

Wesley Sneijder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wesley Sneijder   Wesley Sneijder EmptyFri Jun 08 2007, 15:29

I agree the squad requires some trimming here and there.

Not every player though has to be an obvious first team candidate. You need players who are 'just okay' - who are content being a squad player for a big club rather than first team in a relegation zone outfit.

I think this is one reason United are so successful. They have an obvious 16/18 players battling for first team selection, and then a further 10 who could walk into Sheff United but aren't worthy of a 1st team place at United IF Ferguson had a full squad to choose from, eg, O'Shea, Brown, Richardson, Flectcher.

I don't rate Huddlestone either. We certainty won't finish top four if he is a regular but he is adequate cover and probably won't throw his rattle out the pram cos he is playing week in week out. Players like Jenas, Zokora can't be covering players - they will sulk, get disallusioned and request a transfer.

I'd get rid of Murphy, Mido, Gardner, Ekotto, Ghaly, Ziegler.

Keep ( even though they aren't worth of a 1st team place ) Huddlestone, Rocha, Tainio, Stalteri, Malbranque.
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

Number of posts : 1702

Wesley Sneijder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wesley Sneijder   Wesley Sneijder EmptyFri Jun 08 2007, 15:37

I agree with your out/keep selection Spur'don. Except for Ekotto. I reckon we should keep him and give him more time.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2007-06-05

Wesley Sneijder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wesley Sneijder   Wesley Sneijder EmptyFri Jun 08 2007, 15:45

Ekotto needs shooting. Liability. Why do we buy players that will be good one day instead of buying ones that are good now? Ta ta Ghaly, Mido and Murphy. I think Gardner had a few good games before he got injured towards the end of the season. I'd keep him as we are not exactly brimming with defenders.
Back to top Go down
http://www.spursinhongkong.com
twiglet
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
twiglet

Number of posts : 1266

Wesley Sneijder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wesley Sneijder   Wesley Sneijder EmptyFri Jun 08 2007, 20:08

Dainel wrote:
Why do we buy players that will be good one day instead of buying ones that are good now?

I think the simple answer is too save money and invest in future talent. Not sure what the stats are regarding profit and loss in the 'investing for the future' category is but you only have to look at Lennon and to a lesser extent Dawson to see that its not always a bad thing to do. Hopefully players like Bale, Tarrabt and even Routledge will go on to either make us a bit of cash or become world class, envy of the Premiership, Spurs greats (although Im not too sure about Routledge) scratch
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Wesley Sneijder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wesley Sneijder   Wesley Sneijder EmptySat Jun 09 2007, 15:25

I'd like to see routledge given a go. Maybe he'll turn it on in a few pre-season friendlies.....unlikely I know.
Back to top Go down
Kevin
Jason Dozzell
Jason Dozzell
Kevin

Number of posts : 116

Wesley Sneijder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wesley Sneijder   Wesley Sneijder EmptySun Jun 10 2007, 16:29

It would be fantastic if we got Sneijder but as it turns out it is unlikely
Mad

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=437639&cc=3436