Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

I need to spend big, says Ramos

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2007-06-14

I need to spend big, says Ramos Empty
PostSubject: I need to spend big, says Ramos   I need to spend big, says Ramos EmptyFri Apr 11 2008, 16:08

Ben Hunt
Friday April 11, 2008
The Guardian

Juande Ramos has outlined Tottenham's intentions to dislodge the so-called "big four" and break into the Champions League but has warned the board of directors at White Hart Lane that his ambitious target will require substantial funds.
The Tottenham manager has yet to meet his executive chairman, Daniel Levy, to discuss next season's budgets, but if his ambitious target is to be achieved, it will require finacial backing. It is fortunate then that Joe Lewis, the Bahamas-based billionaire who controls Tottenham's parent company Enic, announced that the club would not suffer from his £500m loss following the collapse of the American bank Bear Stearns.
Ramos was in front of a television in his living room when he saw Liverpool eliminate Arsenal from the Champions League but denied feeling a twinge of jealousy. But the Spaniard, who took Sevilla into the competition last season following a third-placed finish in La Liga, is determined to reacquaint himself with Europe's elite.
He said: "I like the Champions League and it would be nice if Tottenham were there competing with them. It is what were are aiming to do. We want to fight to remove one of the top four teams and get there ourselves.
"[The budget] is an internal situation we have to look at. The teams in the Champions League are there because they have the highest budgets and the best players.The best of the best are not the oldest, experienced or youngest. It is not about the players' ages if they are good enough. It is strange when Wednesdays come round and, yes, I miss it and want to be part of it again. I looked for positive things in the games. I did not jump up and down and celebrate the goals."
One player Ramos is determined to retain is Dimitar Berbatov. The 27-year-old Bulgaria striker says he is "flattered" by the latest link with Milan, and Manchester United's manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, is another potential suitor. Ramos, whose team face Middlesbrough tomorrow, claims he is pleased clubs want to buy him. "It means he is a good player."

Wholeheartedly agree.

Think we have (thankfully) reached a point in the squad's development, where we have decent strength in depth and where, an investment in a couple of quality star players could do wonders.

A couple more of the caliber of Hutton and Woodgate would do us very nicely thanks. Do that well this summer, and Berba may yet be persuaded to play for another season under the tutalege of El Capitan.

</FONT>
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2007-06-06

PostSubject: Re: I need to spend big, says Ramos   I need to spend big, says Ramos EmptySat Apr 12 2008, 11:36

I believe what General Ramos has categorically proved is exactly the opposite Hairy. We lack strength in depth. 2 or 3 further quality signings ain't gonna get us anywhere near CL next season. IMO, about half the squad is simply average and certainly not good enough to guide us through 38 league games to top 4 and one or two cup runs.

And even if we do sell 6, 8, 10 players and buy in roughly the same number, I suspect many of them will be from outside the Premiership and will need a season or so to bed in. I'm preparing myself for another season of ups and downs. May be a 5th - 8th league finish and hopefully another cup - fa or wafa.
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2007-06-14

PostSubject: Re: I need to spend big, says Ramos   I need to spend big, says Ramos EmptySat Apr 12 2008, 17:20

I'm not so sure Eric.

Adding 3 star outfield players of the quality of say Modric, Deco and Navas and I believe we'll have the team to overtake the goons on the pitch.

I don't agree that the goons have anywhere near the same strength in depth as Liverpool, and much less Chel$ki and ManUre leaving them the most vulnerable.

ENIC will spend big this summer. They'll be plenty of coming and goings, but I can't wait to see the look of Ramos' side come August.

COYS !
Back to top Go down
Number 10
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
Number 10

Number of posts : 2315
Registration date : 2007-06-08

PostSubject: Re: I need to spend big, says Ramos   I need to spend big, says Ramos EmptyFri Apr 18 2008, 10:28

I agree with Hairy. Liverpool and Arsenal lack strength in depth, the Gooners especially. We have proven that we can compete with the current top teams in one-off games this season. We've also proven under Jol that we can be consistent enough to finish high in the table.

A full pre-season and a decent start, with players fully motivated and we'd be top 6 without question.

A couple of signings (CM, 2nd CM, GK) and we'll definitely have what it takes to push into the top 4. Even if we don't make it next season, we'll be damned close!
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

PostSubject: Re: I need to spend big, says Ramos   I need to spend big, says Ramos EmptyFri Apr 18 2008, 10:43

For a number of seasons now, Ar5ena1 have not spent big, nor do they have a large squad, but consistently and comfortably make it into CL. Whereas, we continually spend big and have a far bigger pool of players to call upon, but consistently miss out of CL. Why is that?

I suggest it's because that 'orrible slimy bastard can spot talent a mile off and a bargin to boot. Our french imposter doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

Responsibility for this summer's transfer activity must be down to General Ramos alone. We need to ship out a dozen very average players and bring in 6-8 quality, experienced signings. Only then can we start thinking of holding our own in the league. But I still maintain we'll get nowhere near 4th place next season. Another transitional season awaits. 6th - 8th at best, one more cup win - hopefully Wafa or FA this time.
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495

PostSubject: Re: I need to spend big, says Ramos   I need to spend big, says Ramos EmptyFri Apr 18 2008, 10:49

We need to spend the money wisely.

I read that Amauri, the Palermo striker, is on his way at the end of season. Juventus and Arsenal are battling it out for him. I have been a fan of this Amauri guy. He is strong and finishes well. Reminds me of Batistuta.

We cannot let Arsenal get him. As far as I can remember, we were linked to Van Pervert and Adebayor, as well as Rosicky and Sagna before they signed for Arsenal. Although they are cunts, but they might be useful additions to our team if we tied up the deal earlier than arsenal.

Commoli should do the business as early as possible. I recall we signed Berba soon after the end of season. We should not wait and sign players at the last minute to leave them with no or little pre-season training with us etc.
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

PostSubject: Re: I need to spend big, says Ramos   I need to spend big, says Ramos EmptyFri Apr 18 2008, 11:02

Comolli should not do any business. Period.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2007-06-05

PostSubject: Re: I need to spend big, says Ramos   I need to spend big, says Ramos EmptyFri Apr 18 2008, 12:13

I don't think we are too far from overtaking the vermin in terms of squad quality and the peodos days of spotting young talent (footballers not in the Gary Glitter sense) are seemingly long gone. Where is the new Henry, Viera, Overmars etc? I think they are up shit creek with current regime in so far as what they need to achieve has is looking futher from their grasp than ever. I think they are there for the taking next season (assuming they don't sign loads and loads of world class players) and we are a keeper, a midfield general and two strikers away from greatness. ZOK cannot perform the Davids role has was brought in to do, Berbs is off so we need to replace him and we obviously need a new goalie. Once we get our creative issues resoved in the middle the rest is all ready to slot into place.
Back to top Go down
http://www.spursinhongkong.com
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

PostSubject: Re: I need to spend big, says Ramos   I need to spend big, says Ramos EmptyFri Apr 18 2008, 12:31

Oh boy, do we have short memories. Wind back the clock 10 months or so, and that's exactly what we were all saying then. Arsenal there for the taking, add 3 or 4 new quality signings, etc, etc. The fact is, half our squad is average, our best striker is likely to leave, and I have more confidence in the Paedo rediscovering his, ahem, "touch" in the transfer market than Comolli (if in fact the latter ever had a touch in the first place). And I believe Ar5ena1 will spend big this summer.

More the same next season I believe, with an improved league performance, but certainly not setting the world alight.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: I need to spend big, says Ramos   I need to spend big, says Ramos EmptyFri Apr 18 2008, 14:00

what we said last season still stands - the squad was strong enough but it was the management that was pony. Ramos has always managed great teams that are always more than the sum of their parts and this is what he, on paper, brings to Tottenham.

If he works his magic, and given time by the supporters natch, then our team can make top 4.

Last edited by Daniel on Fri Apr 18 2008, 14:13; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

PostSubject: Re: I need to spend big, says Ramos   I need to spend big, says Ramos EmptyFri Apr 18 2008, 14:12

Our squad is clearly not strong enough or good enough to compete for top four in the context of a 50+ game season (league + one or two successful cup runs which I'd expect Ramos to achieve given his proven cup record).

I'm advocating that half the players should be sold on and 6-8 top notch quality players brought in. But even then, this will make for transition as many of these new players will be unfamiliar with the demands and nuiances of the English game to unable us to compete for a top 4 position. We cannot build our hopes up too high otherwise the weight of expectation will once again rest heavily on the management team, causing anxeity, impatience and angst right through the whole club.
And then I fear we'll be back to square one, i.e. where we were with Jol.

Oh, and have I mentioned before that Comolli should sling his hook? This will give us a better chance of long term success. But I fear it won't happen as this will be an outright admission of failure on Levy's part.

PS. I thought Ramos has only ever managed one great (cup) team in Spain. His eight other attempts have been pretty ordinary.
Back to top Go down
Number 10
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
Number 10

Number of posts : 2315
Registration date : 2007-06-08

PostSubject: Re: I need to spend big, says Ramos   I need to spend big, says Ramos EmptyFri Apr 18 2008, 14:14

ezza wrote:
Oh boy, do we have short memories. Wind back the clock 10 months or so, and that's exactly what we were all saying then. Arsenal there for the taking, add 3 or 4 new quality signings, etc, etc. The fact is, half our squad is average, our best striker is likely to leave, and I have more confidence in the Paedo rediscovering his, ahem, "touch" in the transfer market than Comolli (if in fact the latter ever had a touch in the first place). And I believe Ar5ena1 will spend big this summer.

More the same next season I believe, with an improved league performance, but certainly not setting the world alight.

this is why i voted for you as Most Pessimistic Poster, Mr 'Relegation Fight'

Very Happy

Actually, for you to say 6-8th, is like anyone else predicting a title challenge
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: I need to spend big, says Ramos   I need to spend big, says Ramos EmptyFri Apr 18 2008, 14:16

I would take our squad over the vermin at this moment in time. If they can reach top 4 with that shower then so can we.

I agree with the track record of Ramos and was one of my concerns with his appointment and it still worries me - Seville is his only really decent spell but I'm pretending that he is still the same guy rather than the one that managed 8 other teams.
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

PostSubject: Re: I need to spend big, says Ramos   I need to spend big, says Ramos EmptyFri Apr 18 2008, 14:23

Too many false dawns James, too many false dawns.

But I genuinely believe a 6th-8th place finish plus a more prestigious cup would be significant progress. With this foundation we could then start realistically aiming for top 4 in 09/10 or even 10/11. In the grand scheme of things (20+ years since we even had a sniff of a decent league team), is that too long to wait?

In my opinion, if that's what it takes to keep the hounds off Ramos' back and get some long term stability and success, then I'm prepared to set lower expectations next season.

I guess I'm just being pragmatic rather than pessimistic. But granted, I am a moany old git at the best of times Very Happy
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495

PostSubject: Re: I need to spend big, says Ramos   I need to spend big, says Ramos EmptyFri Apr 18 2008, 15:23

I agree with Ezza.

I will be happy if we reclaim our 5th place next season, plus decent cup runs. 5th place is achievable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need to spend big, says Ramos   I need to spend big, says Ramos Empty

Back to top Go down

I need to spend big, says Ramos
Page 1 of 1