Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
IanG
Gregor Raziak
Gregor Raziak
IanG

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2007-06-27

Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup Empty
PostSubject: Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup   Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup EmptyTue Jul 17 2007, 13:11

From Skysports

http://msnsport.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=477180&CPID=217&clid=575&lid=554&title=Aussies+scrape+through&channel=&

[quote] Australia grabbed their first win of the Asian Cup and booked their place in the last eight.

The Socceroos convincingly beat Thailand 4-0 to secure their passage into the quarter finals.

Australia had taken the lead on 21 minutes when Michael Beauchamp headed home Luke Wilkshire's cross.

Suchao Nutnum and Kiatisuk Senamuang both went close before the break as the Thais, who only needed a draw to progress, looked for an equaliser.

Indeed after the break Thailand dominated play, but they could not find a way through as Australia struck three times in the final ten minutes to wrap up victory.

Mark Viduka led by example and doubled Australia's advantage on 80 minutes, and he added a second just minutes later.

The win was wrapped up by substitute Harry Kewell who fired home from close-range.

Australia will face Japan in the quarter finals.

From what i've heard the scoreline is very flattering for the roo's.
Sounds like they came into the competition as favorites believing their own press and all the hype and very nearly came a cropper (sound familiar?).
Good luck to them against Japan on saturday, I think they'll need it. Basketball
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup   Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup EmptyTue Jul 17 2007, 14:00

I've watched a few games - or bits of to be precise - while channel hopping.

Some interesting games beckon with the knock out stages about to begin.
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

Number of posts : 2576
Registration date : 2007-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup   Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup EmptyTue Jul 17 2007, 15:43

I watched the game last night. The Aussies were battered by the Thais for most of the second half until Viduka scored the second goal, it was not a 4-0 game by any stretch of the imagination and the Aussie coach bigging up his team in the paper today is a joke - they could easily have lost and it wouldn't have been a fluke. Japan, however, looked very solid last night as they thrashed Vietnam.
Back to top Go down
ozspur
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
ozspur

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2007-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup   Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup EmptyTue Jul 17 2007, 18:10

GDG wrote:
the Aussie coach bigging up his team in the paper today is a joke - they could easily have lost and it wouldn't have been a fluke.

The Aussies were very lucky indeed. The coach, Graham Arnold, hasn't a clue. I don't think he's really 'bigging up' the team, more like trying to save his own skin. He's much too close to the players and is totally unable to fire up the likes of Viduka or Kewell. This is basically the same team that did so well in Germany. Just goes to show what a superb coach Gus Hiddink is.
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

Number of posts : 2576
Registration date : 2007-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup   Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup EmptyTue Jul 17 2007, 18:20

I know he's trying to save his job, but anybody with half a football brain would know that his comments today were bollocks. Although given that there probably aren't many Aussies with half a football brain he may know his market better than I do.
Back to top Go down
ozspur
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
ozspur

PostSubject: Re: Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup   Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup EmptyWed Jul 18 2007, 06:29

GDG wrote:
given that there probably aren't many Aussies with half a football brain he may know his market better than I do.

Ouch - lucky I'm a Pom then, but I'm sure a few Aussies would probably like to remind us of the result of the friendly played against us at Upton Park a few years ago, not to mention a much better WC performance than England, and general allover sporting prowess against us English. They do have a tremendous number of talented football players - just seem unable to produce a decent home-grown coach. Now which other country does that remind me of? Question
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2007-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup   Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup EmptyWed Jul 18 2007, 08:54

ozspur wrote:
GDG wrote:
given that there probably aren't many Aussies with half a football brain he may know his market better than I do.

Ouch - lucky I'm a Pom then, but I'm sure a few Aussies would probably like to remind us of the result of the friendly played against us at Upton Park a few years ago, not to mention a much better WC performance than England, and general allover sporting prowess against us English. They do have a tremendous number of talented football players - just seem unable to produce a decent home-grown coach. Now which other country does that remind me of? Question

Bet you had Gibraltar on the tip of your tongue Ozspur ! !!

Razz Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
ozspur
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
ozspur

PostSubject: Re: Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup   Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup EmptyWed Jul 18 2007, 09:21

[quote="Hairy"]
ozspur wrote:
GDG wrote:

Bet you had Gibraltar on the tip of your tongue Ozspur ! !!

Razz Razz Laughing

Just the place I was thinking of lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup   Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup Empty

Back to top Go down

Aussies Scrape into Quarter Finals of the Asian Cup
Page 1 of 1