Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

Hong Kong football

Go down 
+4
GDG
Linesmann
spur'don
8 posters
AuthorMessage
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Hong Kong football Empty
PostSubject: Hong Kong football   Hong Kong football EmptyFri Aug 10 2007, 00:06

GDG inspired me for this particular posting by mentioning how so many of us come from different areas of HK.

Hong Kong has around 7 m residents. We are football crazy, yet the local league is utter rubbish.

In debates with other friends I've said HK requires one of two things ;

either a strong local side to play in the China league, or regional teams, playing home games in town. eg, Sai Kung playing in the Sai Kung stadium v's Discovery Bay. Create that sense of tribalism.

Personally, I'd love the latter as I'd end up watching a Sai Kung team home and away, pretty much like a non league English team.

Any thoughts about what is required to grow the HK league ???
Back to top Go down
Jason Dozzell
Jason Dozzell

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Hong Kong football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hong Kong football   Hong Kong football EmptyFri Aug 10 2007, 00:22

Less self-interest and some decent players would be a start.
Seriously, I agree with you regarding putting a team and competing in the China league. South China would be perfect. They're one of the most established teams. They has tradition and loads of local support. (I still can't stomach them and they copied their uniform from you know who.)
Back to top Go down
Linesmann
Andy Booth
Andy Booth
Linesmann

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2007-06-11

Hong Kong football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hong Kong football   Hong Kong football EmptyFri Aug 10 2007, 00:37

del :sms:
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

Number of posts : 2576
Registration date : 2007-06-06

Hong Kong football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hong Kong football   Hong Kong football EmptyFri Aug 10 2007, 09:08

Tai Po, who played for the first time in the HK !st Division last year, have asked to play all their home games at the Tai Po stadium this season back to back before they play any of their home games, as the pitch will deteriorate by November and they will then be forced to play their home games away from home. They attracted crowds of up to 2000 people last year, all of whom were supporting the home team, a little taste of tribal football in HK.

Of course, none of the big teams in HK will agree to their request at the moment unless all the others do, as it appears they think that Tai Po might have an advantage having a rabidly biased home support. What the fuck are these people on? That sort of support is what will bring money back in to the game, thus allowing the clubs to pay better wages and attract better players - surely it has to be better playing in front of a few thousand people than in front of 200 at Mongkok, as many of the games have been in recent years?
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495

Hong Kong football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hong Kong football   Hong Kong football EmptyFri Aug 10 2007, 10:40

The coach of Tai Po last season was my teammate when I played for Ricci Hall at HKU. He's just 1 or 2 years older than me, but his tactical knowledge is awesome.

He was appointed as the coach (along with Lee Kin Wo - the long haired winger) as HK national team for the latest round of qualifying games. And he will be coaching another promoted team (Shek Kip Mei) in the coming season.

As GDG said, Tai Po is a good start but it is difficult to bring back people to watch local footie when there are the EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A on show every night.

Don't know if anyone of you were here when HK football was not bad at all. Playing at Beijing, HK beat China in a World Cup game in 1986 and there were riots!
Back to top Go down
thfc1882
Paolo Tramezzani
Paolo Tramezzani
thfc1882

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2007-06-08

Hong Kong football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hong Kong football   Hong Kong football EmptyFri Aug 10 2007, 10:47

Not really interested in local soccer since the withdrawal of Seiko in 1986, though I did cooperate with the HKFA in working out a marketing plan to save Hong Kong football.

Look at the golden age of Hong Kong soccer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5xrNRd9C_U&mode=related&search=

Wu Kwok Hung (Seiko captain, no. 10) was superb.
Back to top Go down
http://www.spurs.hk
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Hong Kong football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hong Kong football   Hong Kong football EmptyFri Aug 10 2007, 10:51

Remember John Spencer, the short Scottish striker? He was superb in his season in HK. He did well for Rangers and Chelsea.
Back to top Go down
thfc1882
Paolo Tramezzani
Paolo Tramezzani
thfc1882

Number of posts : 214

Hong Kong football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hong Kong football   Hong Kong football EmptyFri Aug 10 2007, 11:02

James wrote:
Remember John Spencer, the short Scottish striker? He was superb in his season in HK. He did well for Rangers and Chelsea.

and Tommy Hutchison, played for Bulova in the early 1980s, just 1 or 2 years after he played that FA Cup Final, and scored at both ends (deflected Hoddle's free kick).

The Dutch players of Seiko played for the Dutch National side and some participated in the 1974 and 1978 World Cup Final. One of them (Nanninga) scored the equalizer in that final.

The foreign players were much high profile compared with todays'.
Back to top Go down
http://www.spurs.hk
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

Number of posts : 2576

Hong Kong football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hong Kong football   Hong Kong football EmptyFri Aug 10 2007, 11:11

Absolutely, and they played to full houses. It'a a chicken and eegg situation, but if you can get teams like Tai Po drawing in partisan crowds it adds to the atmosphere and things start to build momentum.

Anyone else go the match at the stadium when a HK 11 beat Sao Paulo, the reigning world club cahmpions 4-2, and Dale Tempest scored a hat-trick?
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Hong Kong football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hong Kong football   Hong Kong football EmptyFri Aug 10 2007, 11:19

GDG wrote:

Anyone else go the match at the stadium when a HK 11 beat Sao Paulo, the reigning world club cahmpions 4-2, and Dale Tempest scored a hat-trick?

I was there. And Dale Tempest was then "on loan" from another team from HK (Eastern?) to play for Sourth China.
Back to top Go down
StewHK
Ramon Vega
Ramon Vega
StewHK

Number of posts : 658

Hong Kong football Empty
PostSubject: Tony G   Hong Kong football EmptyFri Aug 10 2007, 12:24

spur'don wrote:
GDG inspired me for this particular posting by mentioning how so many of us come from different areas of HK.

Hong Kong has around 7 m residents. We are football crazy, yet the local league is utter rubbish.

In debates with other friends I've said HK requires one of two things ;

either a strong local side to play in the China league, or regional teams, playing home games in town. eg, Sai Kung playing in the Sai Kung stadium v's Discovery Bay. Create that sense of tribalism.

Personally, I'd love the latter as I'd end up watching a Sai Kung team home and away, pretty much like a non league English team.

Any thoughts about what is required to grow the HK league ???

Tony Gurka (RIP) was probably the 2nd expat professional player in Hong Kong. he's played football with the likes of Jimmy Greaves before. He passwed away a couple of years ago and was recognised as Hong Kong's oldest Tottenham fan. Ive since found out there's a couple of people here trying to get that title (I'm not far off myself!).

Anyway back to the local football. Yes, it all went down hill several years ago when they first restricted the amount of foriegners that could play in a team here. Now it's not as popular at the pro level. The local amateur stuff is restricted to the Yau Yee League run by Jono and co. (Leeds fan). Tottingham and Nathan can tell you more about that side.

Stew.
Back to top Go down
http://www.toppundit.com
Jason Dozzell
Jason Dozzell

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Hong Kong football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hong Kong football   Hong Kong football EmptyFri Aug 10 2007, 12:28

Yes, in the 70s there were the Big 3 - Seiko, South China, and Happy Valley. I was a Seiko supporter. I can still remember their attack. They had Derek Currie and a Spaniard called Manuel in the wings, Wu Kwok-Hung and Ho Sun-Wah in midfield, and Walter Gerrard as their centre forward. Wu was outstanding. Apart from his dribbling skills, he had a great shot. Not much in the stamina department of course. He smoked like an aussie barbie!
Back to top Go down
ozspur
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
ozspur

Number of posts : 1063

Hong Kong football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hong Kong football   Hong Kong football EmptyFri Aug 10 2007, 16:55

Didn't ESPN's Paul Masefield play in HK? Which team did he play for?

I would love HK to field a team in the China league. It would actually encourage me to attend matches as nothing beats the atmosphere of a live game with a passionate crowd. But is HK allowed to compete under the one country no system model?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hong Kong football Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hong Kong football   Hong Kong football Empty

Back to top Go down

Hong Kong football
Page 1 of 1