Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

What are the board up to?

Go down 
+7
GDG
Martin Chivers
ozspur
thfc1882
StewHK
spur'don
twiglet
11 posters
AuthorMessage
twiglet
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
twiglet

Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2007-06-06

What are the board up to? Empty
PostSubject: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? EmptyMon Aug 20 2007, 20:22

Jol Out rumours all over the place but whats the deal with the board?

Apparently some members were seen with that Ramos fella which would indicate there's some truth in rumours. If thats the case and the board dont think Jol is the man to 'take us to the next level' then why was this not addressed before the season started. OK - if we were 10 games in with 3 points you could understand but after only 2 games (when they supposedly met the guy) ??

If Jol is kicked out now you've gotta look at the board and question the timing. Disruption and unstability are the last things we need at this stage.

If you want him as manager you give him an honest run, if you dont, you get rid of him in the close season - surely?
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 00:03

Agree entirely.
Back to top Go down
StewHK
Ramon Vega
Ramon Vega
StewHK

Number of posts : 658

PostSubject: Re: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 01:57

twiglet wrote:
Jol Out rumours all over the place but whats the deal with the board?

Apparently some members were seen with that Ramos fella which would indicate there's some truth in rumours. If thats the case and the board dont think Jol is the man to 'take us to the next level' then why was this not addressed before the season started. OK - if we were 10 games in with 3 points you could understand but after only 2 games (when they supposedly met the guy) ??

If Jol is kicked out now you've gotta look at the board and question the timing. Disruption and unstability are the last things we need at this stage.

If you want him as manager you give him an honest run, if you dont, you get rid of him in the close season - surely?

I agree with you as well, but they could be meeting about other matters which may have noting to do with the Jol rumour. Club officials meet all the time to discuss player selling and buying, pre-season friendlies or just to have a drink because they got on as mates when they met each other before. Having said this, I hope they are not meeting to discuss things relating to the rumour!

No

Stew.
Back to top Go down
http://www.toppundit.com
thfc1882
Paolo Tramezzani
Paolo Tramezzani
thfc1882

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2007-06-08

PostSubject: Re: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 02:12

StewHK wrote:
I agree with you as well, but they could be meeting about other matters which may have noting to do with the Jol rumour. Club officials meet all the time to discuss player selling and buying, pre-season friendlies or just to have a drink because they got on as mates when they met each other before. Having said this, I hope they are not meeting to discuss things relating to the rumour!

No

Stew.

May be, but it is too sensitive. If you were talking about player selling and buying, why didn't they talk at the club. Remember A.Cole? He met the Chelsea officials in a London hotel.

Support Jol anyway,

Martin Jol's Blue & White Army !!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.spurs.hk
twiglet
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
twiglet

PostSubject: Re: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 03:52

If he were given the boot Im sure there'd be a massive backlash from the fans. How much power do the fans have these days in relation to these type of descisions? Do the board actually sit up and take notice of the 'I love Martin Jol' chanting?
Back to top Go down
ozspur
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
ozspur

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2007-06-08

PostSubject: Re: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 04:05

twiglet wrote:
Do the board actually sit up and take notice of the 'I love Martin Jol' chanting?

They're probably too busy scoffing their prawn sandwiches, and wheeling and dealing behind the scenes to make more money........ for themselves.
Back to top Go down
Martin Chivers
Welcome to Spurs In Hong Kong

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2007-08-14

PostSubject: Re: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 09:54

From The Guardian's Fiver Column today:

The Fiver has been rushed into some hasty, ill-informed decisions in its time - it emailed its bank details to its new friend in Nigeria who had $10m to smuggle out of the country by midnight, stopped listening to women after those Nuts adverts showed how stupid they are (some of them can't even use an automatic sander!) and just this lunchtime it stuck £78 on Man City to win the league. But even those little jaunts look like feats of Socratic reasoning when you compare them to the rumours slouching out of White Hart Lane over the weekend. If they're to be believed, Spurs boss Tony Soprano is about to get exactly one cap in his @ss.

Which, is of course, ridiculous. While Spurs were laughable in their first two games of the season, they pummelled Derby 4-0 at the weekend. The real ruction, though - like all great gangster stories - is behind the scenes with tension building between Soprano and Spurs' sporting director Damien Comolli. If the Spurs board decide to do away with Soprano, his replacement could well be Sevilla manager, Juande Ramos, not that Ramos sounded too keen on the job today. "I totally deny that I met with Tottenham representatives," he squirmed. "Is there any evidence that demonstrates the contrary?"

Well, actually, there is. For a start there are the photos in the News of the World. What's more, Ramos, who nearly took up a position at Eastlands before Trashcan Sinatras' human-rights bandwagon wheeled into town, is said to be keen on a move to England - where he believes he would have more control - and feels he does not get recognition for the work he's done at Sevilla (last night's 5-3 felching of Real Madrid being the latest in a long line of triumphs for Ramos at the club). Ramos does have another year to run on his contract, however, and may yet decide to oversee Sevilla's assault on Big Cup. If only Soprano had such problems, eh?
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

Number of posts : 2576

PostSubject: Re: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 10:00

So many re-hashed articles it 's tedious. THey'd hate to be the one to miss out, wouldn't they?
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2007-06-14

PostSubject: Re: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 10:14

Here's why Jol isn't going anywhere... comments from Darren Bent today...

"He knows he's not going anywhere. He has made a big impact on me already. He's the one that got me from Charlton. He's going to have a massive influence on my career and I want to repay him with goals."

"His coaching methods and the way that he talks to you shows he's a top manager.

"He shows everyone a lot of respect, while others will hammer a player if he's not done something right.

"He just talks to you, gets his point across and everyone knows what he wants."

8:56 PM, August 20, 2007

IMHO, I think :bmj: should and will stay at least until the end of the season and give the guy the time he deserves. Let's see what progress is made by the end of the year before making any hasty decisions. I would be very, very affraid to see :bmj: get the boot before then. I'd hate to see us have to write-off this season.. and Gawd help us with the repercussions (i.e., transfer requests) after not qualifying for UEFA, less CL in 08 ! silent

study
Back to top Go down
Martin Chivers

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2007-08-14

PostSubject: Re: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 10:34

Everyone will shut up when we beat the Mancs at Old Trafford bounce
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 10:38

"He shows everyone a lot of respect, while others will hammer a player if he's not done something right.

"He just talks to you, gets his point across and everyone knows what he wants."

So why is it our players sometimes look as though they can't be bothered ? Arsenal away last season was unforgiveable. Sunderland / Everton this season. Too many lacklustre performances.

That said, it doesn't surprise me that there are rumours of a rift between Comolli and Jol. I'd be pretty pissed off if I'd banged on about playing with wingers for nearly 3 years and yet my Director of Football had failed to sign one.

Part of the problem is that Comolli has bought players that a) we don't need and b) don't improve the team.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 10:57

Why do I enjoy a crisis more than success ? scratch
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Number of posts : 2596

PostSubject: Re: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 11:00

Have to say getting f*cking stressed out about all this...

Articles in The Sun (yeh I know) but also Guardian today saying Ramos is on his way, even if its all BS hardly the best preparation for a massive game this week.

The fact that Levy has not come out and publically backed the manager or anything been said on the official site, is more and more convincing me that they want Jol out, but perhaps would prefer his resignation (due to stress from all this media-crap and complete lack of support) than having to sack him.

Can't concentrate on work for the worry.... Fcuking Spurs internal-politics bullsh*t.
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495

PostSubject: Re: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 11:06

To get the 4th or 5th place this season, I think keeping Jol for the remainder of this season is a much better bet than getting some outsider to the club at this point of the season.

It's not a time to experiment 3 games into a season.

KEEP JOL!
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 11:29

The driving force behind this is the timing of Ramos contract. If Levy doesn't act now he will not get Ramos. Therefore Levy's debate must be - should I give up the chance to sign a manager who as been a persistent thorn in the side of Spain's top teams, in order to give a chance to a man who has not yet beaten England's best.

Jol will be fired. Levy is nothing if not ruthless and efficient.
Back to top Go down
Janek
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Janek

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 12:25

A real shame to treat Jol so shabbily. If the board didn't think he was the man, they shd've sacked him in the summer and not waited for an excuse.

In any event, I'd still rather have Hughes over Ramos. Ramos is 52 years old, has only coached in Spain and had very limited success until the last couple of years. Make no mistake, he is no Mourinho. He speaks little English and knows nothing about the English game. If we're going to sack Jol and we want more steel, we shd go for Mark Hughes. A young and hungry manager who has dragged Blackburn up with astute signings and good man management. His teams are solid and have some flair with two wingers. He knows English football, has experience in the UEFA Cup and also internationally with Wales. I think he'd give us the backbone that we need to push on.

If Redknapp takes over then I'm throwing my Now TV box off the balcony.

I probably agree with Spur'd on about Jol. It is similar to the Ranieri situation before Mourinho when everyone agreed he was a great guy and a decent manager, but he didn't have the steel to win things. I don't think Jol is good enough tactically. He hardly ever makes game-changing substitutions and the inability to hold onto leads is as much to do with bad organisation of players as the players' mentality themselves. Chris Hughton adds nothing and perhaps Jol wd've been better served by a more wily assistant who cd make tactical suggestions rather than just write substitutions down on bits of paper. Compare Jol's tactics to Mourinho who puts wingers at full-back when he's 1-0 down and wins games or Benitez who can organise a team to win away against Barcelona, Juventus etc.

Overall, I'm not sure whether Jol has what it takes to win a trophy or reach the top four. However, I think we owe him the chance to do so, i.e. all of this season. To sack him now smacks of cowardice (do it pre-season) and politics (Jol/Commoli/Levy), rather than pure football reasons.

But that's Spurs, we never do things properly.
Back to top Go down
twiglet
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
twiglet

PostSubject: Re: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 12:45

spur'don wrote:
Why do I enjoy a crisis more than success ? scratch

Dont say its so!
Back to top Go down
twiglet
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
twiglet

PostSubject: Re: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 12:50

Janek wrote:

If Redknapp takes over then I'm throwing my Now TV box off the balcony.

I'll be keeping a close eye out for that - dont wanna be walking below with the pushchair affraid
Back to top Go down
Janek
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Janek

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 12:58

There will be a loud, anguished cry of "NOT REDKNAPP, THAT TWITCHING, FISH-FACED WEST HAM CROOKED B*STARD" in my dulcet Chingford tones before it comes hurtling over, just listen out for that!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are the board up to?   What are the board up to? Empty

Back to top Go down

What are the board up to?
Page 1 of 1