Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Janek
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Janek

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2007-07-24

Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games Empty
PostSubject: Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games   Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games EmptyThu Aug 30 2007, 10:56

The Independent
By Jason Burt
Published: 30 August 2007
Jermain Defoe has held talks with Tottenham Hotspur over his future at the club and has been given guarantees that he will start more games this season. The 25-year-old striker has told Spurs that he does not want to leave, but also that he will not sign a new five-year contract unless he makes more appearances. He said he wants to review his future later this season.

Defoe has 22 months left on his current deal and Spurs are concerned that he will run down his contract and leave for free or for a lower transfer fee than they could realise if he is tied to a longer contract.

Martin Jol, Spurs' manager, last week publicly urged Defoe to sign his new contract after The Independent revealed that the two had argued following the league victory against Derby County during which the striker played just 14 minutes.

However, Defoe has also told Spurs that he does want to stay at the club. He feels settled, having recently got engaged and bought a new home in Hertfordshire, but is also concerned that the lack of games is affecting his chances of playing for England.

Several clubs have expressed an interest in Defoe but there has not been a move, so far, from any of the big four. Chelsea yesterday released a statement denying suggestions that they wanted to do a swap deal, with Shaun Wright-Phillips moving to White Hart Lane.

Spurs are cooling talk that they are about to make a late move for West Bromwich Albion's Curtis Davies. The defender would like to join the north London side, and there is interest, but not at the £10m price being quoted by the Championship club.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games   Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games EmptyThu Aug 30 2007, 19:12

That's nonsense. This is Sol Campbell all over again.
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2007-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games   Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games EmptyThu Aug 30 2007, 22:38

I don't want to start getting negative on "Tofu"... he's served us well in the past after all.

What concerns me now, is what happens if the Villans meet Spurs valuation and yet Defoe refuses to move to Birmingham ?

Before midnight tomorrow (only one more sleep Twiglet Wink ), I hope a deal can be struck with Villa for Defoe. However, failing that, I also hope that Wet Spam and 3rd preferable choice, Pompey, are still willing to strike a deal for Defoe and we are not forced to sell to ManUre. ....
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games   Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games EmptyThu Aug 30 2007, 22:44

So who's staying up until 7am Sat morning, clued to the internet for any transfer update.

Shocked
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

Number of posts : 2576
Registration date : 2007-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games   Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games EmptyThu Aug 30 2007, 22:47

Not me, I think we're about done.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games   Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games EmptyThu Aug 30 2007, 22:55

Probably right. Unlike Spurs though not to try and steal the headlines on the last day.
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2007-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games   Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games EmptyFri Aug 31 2007, 09:57

Hairy wrote:
I don't want to start getting negative on "Tofu"... he's served us well in the past after all.

What concerns me now, is what happens if the Villans meet Spurs valuation and yet Defoe refuses to move to Birmingham ?

Before midnight tomorrow (only one more sleep Twiglet Wink ), I hope a deal can be struck with Villa for Defoe. However, failing that, I also hope that Wet Spam and 3rd preferable choice, Pompey, are still willing to strike a deal for Defoe and we are not forced to sell to ManUre. ....

Having slept on it last night, buying Darren Bent was a such a good move. Fantastic player and attitude and perfect timing to sign him, means we won't be tied over a barrel in negotiations with Defoe... and the opposition know it ! !!

I'm starting to think I prefer having a rotation of 3 class strikers rather than 4, as I believe it would help Berba, Keano and Bent maintain their peak performances with a good balance betweeen playing and resting matches.

It would help minimize the inevitable dissapointment and bitterness from the bench and give our youngsters, Pekhart, Barney et al a chance to play with a senior striker when possibly 2 of our strikers are not available... not forgetting that a number of our "midfield" players, such as Lennon, could also do a decent job.
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

Number of posts : 2576
Registration date : 2007-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games   Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games EmptyFri Aug 31 2007, 10:08

Barney's gone to Crewe till January.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games   Spurs give pledge to frustrated Defoe over starting games Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1