Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

Gilberto da Silva Melo

Go down 
+5
Tottingham
Janek
Linesmann
spur'don
ezza
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2007-06-06

Gilberto da Silva Melo Empty
PostSubject: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyWed Jan 30 2008, 12:10

Surprisingly, this site already has him down as a Spurs player!
http://www.sambafoot.com/en/players/557_Gilberto.html

This one has a couple of his goals. I remember the one from 06 WC v Japan. Nice commentary too.

http://www.gilberto6.com.br/

I was reading one Hertha Berlin fan's blog earlier. Saying that he's been zhite all season and is a very "bitchy" player. This particular blogger was glad they're getting rid of him for a fee. Not very well liked apparently.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyWed Jan 30 2008, 12:16

ezza wrote:
Surprisingly, this site already has him down as a Spurs player!
http://www.sambafoot.com/en/players/557_Gilberto.html

This one has a couple of his goals. I remember the one from 06 WC v Japan. Nice commentary too.

http://www.gilberto6.com.br/

I was reading one Hertha Berlin fan's blog earlier. Saying that he's been zhite all season and is a very "bitchy" player. This particular blogger was glad they're getting rid of him for a fee. Not very well liked apparently.

Wonderful. Just the sort of player Commolli loves. I'd imagine it's a done deal then. How much should we offer. Average player, injury prone, awful season.....Mmmmmm....going rate is about 8m isn't it ??
Back to top Go down
Linesmann
Andy Booth
Andy Booth
Linesmann

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2007-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyWed Jan 30 2008, 15:52

It's seems 1M or 2M
Back to top Go down
Janek
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Janek

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyWed Jan 30 2008, 16:22

Come on boys, bit of positive thought here!

He's got a left-foot, is experienced, a Brazilian international and is fit. Apparently he's not been very good for his club, but they've struggled generally this season.

I reckon he'll be good for us for the rest of this season and next. He gives us another left-footer, cover at left-back and left-midfield and a bit of experience for full-backs like Bale and Gunter to learn from.

Just need to make sure he gets his work eprmit and he's ours.
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyWed Jan 30 2008, 16:45

He might be able to attract some Brazilian eye candy to WHL too.

Btw, has a Brazilian ever played for Spurs before?
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

Number of posts : 1015

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyWed Jan 30 2008, 16:46

I'm happy with this one - it's an area we need cover - and this guy seems to have some decent experience and will be cheap being out of contract in the summer.
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyWed Jan 30 2008, 16:47

ezza wrote:
He might be able to attract some Brazilian eye candy to WHL too.

Btw, has a Brazilian ever played for Spurs before?

only that Defendi guy I think - but he never played first team
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyWed Jan 30 2008, 17:02

Does Alan Brazil count?
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyWed Jan 30 2008, 17:13

ezza wrote:
Does Alan Brazil count?
Rolling Eyes

very good.
Back to top Go down
Janek
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Janek

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyWed Jan 30 2008, 17:25

not one, he'll be the first

after rasiak's abject failure, i still harbour hopes of being the first pole to score for spurs
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Number of posts : 2596

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyWed Jan 30 2008, 17:27

Janek wrote:
not one, he'll be the first

i still harbour hopes of being the first portugese to score for spurs

Sorry Janek, Dominguez got there first!
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyWed Jan 30 2008, 17:40

I reckon we've had another Brazilian on the books in recent times, not just Defendi. But I can't remember his name. He was a striker, on loan around the same time as Dalamat played for us. The Brazilian in question only played in the reserves, but may have come on as sub in a first team match? I keep thinking "Diego", but I might be dreaming this. Someone please put me out of my misery. Ta!
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyWed Jan 30 2008, 17:52

are u thinking of Edson Rolando Silva Sousa? he was portugese
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyWed Jan 30 2008, 17:56

Yes, could have been him. Didn't realise he was one of Janek's brothers.
Back to top Go down
Janek
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Janek

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyWed Jan 30 2008, 18:27

Yes, he used to pop round my flat for a glass of Port when he was feeling homesick.

He never played for the first team, much to his chagrin.
Back to top Go down
Linesmann
Andy Booth
Andy Booth
Linesmann

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2007-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyThu Jan 31 2008, 23:35

Gilberto's proposed move to Tottenham from Hertha Berlin has collapsed, according to the Bundesliga club.

The player underwent a medical in London earlier this week after both clubs had reached an agreement over a fee.

Spurs boss Juande Ramos was keen to sign Gilberto as he is short of options at left-back, with Gareth Bale and Benoit Assou-Ekotto both out with long-term injuries.

However the deal has been called off after results of a second medical on Wednesday 'prevented a contract between the player and Tottenham Hotspur from being concluded to the original conditions'.

"The Brazilian national team player Gilberto will fulfil his contract until June 2008 with Hertha Berlin," announced the Bundesliga side on their official website.

The German also hit out at Tottenham for the move falling through saying: "Hertha BSC and Tottenham Hotspur reached an agreement over the transfer of the player after the statutory medical last Sunday, when all conditions for a transfer were fulfilled," added a Berlin statement.

"Which is why it is all the more incomprehensible for Hertha the way Tottenham have now acted."

The news is a blow to Ramos as he had looked to add Gilberto to his signings of Alan Hutton, Chris Gunter and Jonathan Woodgate.
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyFri Feb 01 2008, 08:51

deal done
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyFri Feb 01 2008, 09:02

Wey hey! Bring out the dancing girls (brazilian of course), samba and caipirinias. G-G-Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.........Gilberto!
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2007-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyFri Feb 01 2008, 09:25

LONDON (Reuters) - Tottenham Hotspur completed the signing of Brazil defender Gilberto from Hertha Berlin just before the close of the transfer window on Thursday.
The deal had appeared to have fallen through earlier in the day when it was thought the 31-year-old Gilberto had failed a medical but Tottenham's Web site (www.tottenhamhotspur.com) later said it had been rescued. No transfer fee was disclosed.
"The club is delighted to announce the signing of Gilberto. In the interests of accuracy the club wishes to make it clear that, contrary to reports in this morning's papers, there were no issues arising from his medical.
"The delay was entirely due to the player needing to return to Germany as part of the work permit process in order to obtain his entry clearance visa."
Tottenham also announced that defenders Paul Stalteri and Anthony Gardner had been allowed to join Fulham and Everton respectively on loan until the end of the season.
Gilberto has spent three and a half years in Germany, where he made 101 appearances in the Bundesliga for Hertha after joining from Brazilian club Sao Caetano.
He has won 27 caps for Brazil, played in the 2006 World Cup in Germany and was a member of the Brazil squads that won the 2004 and 2007 Copa America.
Gilberto is the third defender to join the Premier League club in the transfer window after Jonathan Woodgate from Middlesbrough and Alan Hutton from Rangers.
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyFri Feb 01 2008, 09:30

It feels like Christmas morning!

In: Grunter, Woody, Hutt and Gilly
Out: Defoe, Routledge, The Inconsistent Gardner(loan), Salty(loan), Barnard

I think a decent January's trading on the whole. But STILL without a proper left winger.
Oh well, Wemberleeeeeee, wemberleeeeee........
Back to top Go down
Tottingham
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Tottingham

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyFri Feb 01 2008, 09:43

add the best present to that - Ghaly out (initially on loan)
Back to top Go down
Janek
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Janek

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyFri Feb 01 2008, 09:59

A good window I think. I agree with selling Defoe, if he wdn't sign the contract then ta ta. He must know he'll never get past Keane in the team and it now allows Bent more playing time. I imagine Peckhart and some of the other youngsters will be the 4th striker.

Great to get rid of some dross like Routledge, Stalteri and Gardener. Even though the last two went on loan, we'll get loan fees for them and get them off the wage bill.

Shimbomba remains, wonder if he'll knuckle down now?
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyFri Feb 01 2008, 10:11

I reckon the only game time Chimbo will get is in central defence if Ledders or Woody are out injured. I rate him more as a CB than a RB.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyFri Feb 01 2008, 10:13

Your right, no left winger, however Malbranque has enjoyed a good season so it can wait until the summer.
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo EmptyFri Feb 01 2008, 10:17

Steeeeeed has had an astounding season for us so far. I just hope he can maintain his fitness and not burn out as we approach Wemberleeeee, the business end of Waffa and our fight for mid table mediocrity. We've been asking a hell of a lot from him recently. But I guess O'Hara is a good replacement on the left and so is Gil from Brazil. But neither of them are wingers. COYS
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gilberto da Silva Melo   Gilberto da Silva Melo Empty

Back to top Go down

Gilberto da Silva Melo
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next