Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

Bent Drags On

Go down 
+5
spur'don
Hairy
DannyBoy
GDG
Daniel
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2007-06-06

Bent Drags On - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent Drags On   Bent Drags On - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 23 2007, 01:58

Wasnt the last goal by Defoe against Charlton? Forgive me if I'm wrong but I remember that being pretty tasty. The goals vs Villa at home in the 2-1 win were choice too...so not sure I agree with your point there.

Besides it surely doesnt matter how spectacular they are as long as he scores them? Even with the TV money I still don't think at 15 million Bent is cheap yes he scored goals for a struggling side, but as the article ezza posted points out he was the focus of a 4-5-1 formation, don't get me wrong I do think he is a good player just not worth the money bandied about. Especially not breaking our transfer record for a 3rd or 4th striker. And can't see anyway spending 6 mill on Mido. Although I would be delighted to be proved wrong.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Bent Drags On   Bent Drags On - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 23 2007, 11:29

I take ya point.

It's difficult to judge whether 15m is over priced until the end of the summer. We know the lad can score goals in the premiership. A good goalscorer is worth their weight in gold. If Defoe signs a new deal we probably wouldn't need to pursue Bent. However, that isn't the case, Defoe mustn't be allowed to leave for nowt so we're forced into a situation whereby we must sign a top striker and get whatever we can for Defoe.

Seriously, if Defoe goes what other striker would you want to sign ( realistic ) ? Charlton got relegated and are forced to consider to sell. Most other clubs aren't going to let their strikers depart. Im struggling to think of an alternative to Bent.
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Number of posts : 2596

PostSubject: Re: Bent Drags On   Bent Drags On - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 23 2007, 12:27

Welll....Nugent is being touted for 7 milion, he is surely half as good as Bent? And he's got one more goal at international level Razz That would then leave us cash for Petrov or Sneijder.

My preference of course is that Defoe DOES sign a new contract so that this situation wouldn't be an issue.
Back to top Go down
twiglet
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
twiglet

Number of posts : 1266

PostSubject: Re: Bent Drags On   Bent Drags On - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 23 2007, 17:50

It seems as though Henry will go to Barca for 16m. OK he's older than Bent but if your comparing prices and prices only then Bent for 17m is silly.
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2007-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Bent Drags On   Bent Drags On - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 23 2007, 18:47

I'm with Spur'don on Bent.

D. Bent has scored 20+ goals for the last 3 seasons, has demonstarted his salt as a point -man (exactly the cover we need for Berba, as NEITHER Defoe or Keano can). He's fast, skilful and a GOOD finisher AND

...he's only JUST turned 23...

FFS.... I disagree that 15mil is a lot of money. Proof will be at the end of window.

So long as we also invest in LM and defence, it will be money well spent. Can you imagine Spurs announicing Bent's signature, together with Kaboul and Petrov.

Those will be VERY tasty (and realistic). As has been mooted around, I believe we'll keep our 1st team squad pretty much intact (obviously getting rid of Mido and Murphy) which will help continuity and that WILL win us CL qualification and a Cup next season . ....

Couldn't be a better weekend with news that Henry is off and Wenger following next season cheers cheers cheers

All together now ...

COME - ON - YOU - SPURS ! ....COME - ON - YOU - SPURS ! ...
COME - ON - YOU - SPURS !

See you tonight gents afro
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2007-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Bent Drags On   Bent Drags On - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 23 2007, 19:23

Quote from someone who shares my feelings about Dent. Sounds like the deal's done already Suspect ...... cheers cheers cheers

Joe Royle believes Tottenham are landing themselves a bargain in £16 million signing Darren Bent.
Bent agreed terms with Spurs last night and is expected to complete his move from Charlton Athletic over the weekend.

Despite the hefty price-tag, Royle, who worked with Bent at Ipswich, told the Daily Mail: "If I was Darren, I would sit myself down with an armful of Gary Lineker DVDs and study them.

"They have very similar attributes. People would say there wasn't a lot more to Lineker's game than scoring goals, which always made me smile because scoring goals is what the game is all about. He was probably the best in the game at getting behind defenders and finishing.

"Lineker's movement and desire and aggression to get on to the ball would be a great example for Darren to follow. All the attributes are there and there's no reason why he can't get to the level Lineker did."

Royle believes Tottenham offer the perfect opportunity for Bent to dispel any fears over his mammoth price tag, while forcing his way back into England manager Steve McClaren's thinking.

"He has to do it on a bigger stage," conceded Royle. "The prices are amazing but it's all down to supply and demand. He is one of the top goalscorers in the division. There are still holes in his game and he has to fill all those holes if he is to be successful at international level. But he's a young lad learning his job. He is not shy of work or dedication."
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Bent Drags On   Bent Drags On - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 23 2007, 19:56

The transfer inflation started in January - Villa paying 10m for Ashley Young, a player with just 3 PL goals to his name. What has he done since. I'm confident 15m will be a bargain. This lad is gonna score. Some people said Everton overpaid for AJ but you couldn't get him now for 8.5m.

Bent has more attributes than Defoe. Secondly, we're we the club who just couldn't score ( at least away ) around Christmas time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bent Drags On   Bent Drags On - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bent Drags On
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2