Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

Books on Spurs - any recommendations

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Books on Spurs - any recommendations Empty
PostSubject: Books on Spurs - any recommendations   Books on Spurs - any recommendations EmptyThu Jun 21 2007, 22:33

just finished reading "We are Tottenham" - voices from White Hart Lane by Martin Cloake and Adam Powley. Basically a series of interviews with a wide range of supporters.

Any other recommendations ?
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

Number of posts : 2576
Registration date : 2007-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Books on Spurs - any recommendations   Books on Spurs - any recommendations EmptyThu Jun 21 2007, 22:37

I've just finished reading "Being Gazza", his second book. It's basically a series of dialogues between him and his counsellor - it's shocking how many problems he has, I'm a Spurs supporter and I had no idea just what a mess his life really is. I'm giving the book to Dan this weekend but it shouldn't take long for him to get through it. Maybe we can start a book-share club on Spurs books?
Back to top Go down
DannyBoy
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
DannyBoy

Number of posts : 2596

PostSubject: Re: Books on Spurs - any recommendations   Books on Spurs - any recommendations EmptyThu Jun 21 2007, 22:44

I've gt Match of My Life, which has chapters by 13 spurs players reliving their favourite game.

From Bobby Smith, to Cliff Jones, to Graham Roberts and Gary Mabbutt. Its a quick read mind but still interesting.

I'm lending it to GDG on Saturday but someone is welcome to borrow after him, as long as they treat it nicely. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

PostSubject: Re: Books on Spurs - any recommendations   Books on Spurs - any recommendations EmptyThu Jun 21 2007, 22:45

I'd like to read a book about the whole history of the club - any recommendations?
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: Books on Spurs - any recommendations   Books on Spurs - any recommendations EmptyThu Jun 21 2007, 22:46

Great idea.

I've got loads of sporting autobiography's. I've read the Gazza "My Story". updated in 2005.

A really good Spurs book is "Sick as a Parrot " - inside story of the Spurs fiasco by Chris Horrie. All about 80's and early 90's - Scholar era and Sugar/Venables 'rescue'. Very interesting even though it's very much yesterday's news.

Best autobiography ? A few stand out - George Best, Roy Reane, Frank Worthington 'One hump or two'

For cricket fans I'd recommend Ian Bothams
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

PostSubject: Re: Books on Spurs - any recommendations   Books on Spurs - any recommendations EmptyThu Jun 21 2007, 22:54

You HAVE to be joking! Botham's book was one of the most nauseous, self-aggrandising, arrogant pieces of shit I've ever read. he's NEVER wrong, and when he is wrong he subsequently discovers that he made a mistake and he was right. He's a tosser, great cricketer maybe, but a tosser.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: Books on Spurs - any recommendations   Books on Spurs - any recommendations EmptyThu Jun 21 2007, 23:00

Well on this occasion I'll have to disagree though I'm sure you'll find support from Boycott.
Back to top Go down
ozspur
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
ozspur

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2007-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Books on Spurs - any recommendations   Books on Spurs - any recommendations EmptyThu Jun 21 2007, 23:04

The Glory Game by Hunter Davies - a real classic in football literature. An absolute must read for all Spurs fans.

Mr Tottenhan Hotspur by Steve Earle - a reasonable look at the life of Sir Billy Nick

The Real Mackay - quite a good read about Dave Mackay

The last two books I have with me in HK, have loads more in Oz. Willing to lend them to anyone interested.
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

PostSubject: Re: Books on Spurs - any recommendations   Books on Spurs - any recommendations EmptyThu Jun 21 2007, 23:09

I'm interested, if you fancy bringing one or more of them along on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
twiglet
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
twiglet

Number of posts : 1266

PostSubject: Re: Books on Spurs - any recommendations   Books on Spurs - any recommendations EmptyFri Jun 22 2007, 00:51

I can forsee the lost property cupboard at Als being choca-block with spurs books come Sunday morning study
Back to top Go down
ozspur
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
ozspur

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2007-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Books on Spurs - any recommendations   Books on Spurs - any recommendations EmptyFri Jun 22 2007, 10:07

GDG wrote:
I'm interested, if you fancy bringing one or more of them along on Saturday.

I'll bring them both. I'm away for the summer so won't need them back until Sept Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Books on Spurs - any recommendations   Books on Spurs - any recommendations Empty

Back to top Go down

Books on Spurs - any recommendations
Page 1 of 1