Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Spurs Forum in Hong Kong

HomeHome  Spurs In Hong Kong homepageSpurs In Hong Kong homepage  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official SiteOfficial Site  Fantasy FootballFantasy Football  

Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos

Go down 
+9
James
Tottingham
Daniel
GDG
bad_baz
twiglet
ezza
spur'don
Janek
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2007-06-05

Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 19:34

another killer Twiglet post. The quote king has arrived...
Back to top Go down
http://www.spursinhongkong.com
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

Number of posts : 2495
Registration date : 2007-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 19:35

Beleaguered Tottenham boss Martin Jol has the full support of the dressing room, according to striker Robbie Keane.

If widespread press reports are to be believed, then Jol could be working on borrowed time at White Hart Lane, despite the new season being just three games old.

After two successive defeats pressure was undeniably building up on the affable Dutchman, but a 4-0 thumping of Derby at the weekend demonstrated that the club's players are still firmly in their manager's camp.

Pressure mounts

That has not, though, stopped speculation that Jol could be facing unemployment, with Sevilla coach Juande Ramos a name thought to be firmly in the frame should Spurs wield the axe.

Keane believes there is no need to panic at such an early stage of the campaign and has backed the club's players to be united in their desire to propel Tottenham up the table.

Rallying call
"At times like this you have to stand up and be counted," he told the Daily Star.

"It is important now that we rally round each other and get ourselves together.

"What I do know is that, in this league, once you string a few wins together you can quickly make up lost ground.

"You can't judge anything until about ten games in when the league table takes some kind of shape."
Back to top Go down
Janek
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Janek

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 19:36

Spur'd On - I think your posts make a lot of sense once all the emotion is stripped away. We all love BMJ because he is obviously a decent bloke, likes a smoke and a drink, knows the Tottenham history (quotes Bill Nick) and he's shown his class in lots of situations (e.g. the Mendes "goal" at OT, the spat with Wenger on the touchline at Highbury). However, we have all at various times questioned his tactics (or lack of them), especially away from home where we don't score enough goals and his loyalty to players (Stalteri, Jenas, Tainio, Davids in his last season) when they consistently under-perform and need a kick up the backside.
I still think he shd be given this season, but I take your points about whether he is (or now was) the man for the job.
Btw, I've got your book on Angkor, will return it next time I see you, it is in a safe place.

Daniel - I hope you don't know something we don't about Redknapp. No doubt he'd try to bring Campbell back with him. If so I'll have to return to England to lay siege to WHL to get our Tottenham back. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGH!
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Founding Father
Founding Father
Daniel

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2007-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 19:40

Janek wrote:

Daniel - I hope you don't know something we don't about Redknapp. No doubt he'd try to bring Campbell back with him. If so I'll have to return to England to lay siege to WHL to get our Tottenham back. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGH!

put it this way, Hang Dog Harry has as good as chance as Ramos right now
Back to top Go down
http://www.spursinhongkong.com
Janek
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Janek

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 19:45

If this is true, this is no doubt Paul Kemsley's work.

Redknapp wd be an unmitigated disaster.

He ahs had relative success by buying experienced players on high wages. He has no ideas about tactics and is an old fashioned motivator. He is also, by all accounts, corrupt as hell and West Ham through and through.

Next you'll be telling me that he's gonna bring Tony Adams along as his assistant...
Back to top Go down
twiglet
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
twiglet

Number of posts : 1266

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 19:55

Janek wrote:

Next you'll be telling me that he's gonna bring Tony Adams along as his assistant...

The way the weeks turning out nothing would suprise me
Back to top Go down
eldenng
David Tuttle
David Tuttle
eldenng

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2007-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 21:48

spur'don wrote:
ezza wrote:
I've just exchanged emails with Jim at Topspurs. His "snout" confirms that Jol will be told to sling his hook as soon as the replacement can be confirmed. No mention who this might be.

All too depressing for words No This season is already doomed to the zhit heap and I suspect the next one too. Sunday at OT will be a nightmare.

FECK IT!!!!

Disagree. I'd personally reserve judgement on Jol until the end of the season. However, I do kind of see where Levy is coming from and it would be hypocritical for me to argue otherwise.

I felt Jol was unlucky to loss Carrick. However, I just don't think he is a top manager.

Levy is taking a bold step - some may say foolish, others would say decisive. A new manager will have some top players to work alongside. There are better managers than Jol and deep down I think we all know it. I said at the start of the season Spurs would finish 6th. That isn't good enough. A better manager who can maximise what is at his disposal could clinch 4th spot.

I'm in the minority but I back Levy. Its a business - no room for sentiment. If someone else is better and available, bye bye. That's life. Football is no different. If Spurs finish 4th and Holland approached Jol what would he do ????

Absolutely agree with you, spurdon!!!! I sympathize with Jol BUT I keep my option open. I don't think that there are "politics" problems on Jol leaving issue. I have understanding that why Levy is impatient with Jol after 2 defeats this season. We can see that Spurs are not ORGANIZED after the Carrick's leave. This problem existed already. How come Jol didn't solve it???? We are ambitious now, and need a top manager who can tackle things well. If we can grab some pts in the game of MU this staurday, I will definitely back for Jol as he is showing his superior ability over those top-fours' mangers. If not, I will support the Levy's decision to sack him.

So, pls show your ability to us, JOL!!!!!
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

Number of posts : 3552
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 22:28

Twiglet - in reply to your email. Start of season we all predicted where Spurs would finish. About 60% on this forum said top four and about 35% said 5th. I think I predicted the lowest at 6th...and that was cos I knew I'd get a hammering if I said 7th. That was based on Jol as manager for the full season.

Jol is a reasonable manager, nice bloke, etc. However, I don't think he can take us to the next level. Levy, who obviously feels the same, should have taken action in the summer - he didn't - and yes, that was a mistake. A huge one in fact.

I wasn't originally in favour of replacing Jol after 3 games....however, the more I think about it, the more I understand the logic.

I'm in a minority and my views don't make popular reading. Nice of Steve McMahon to agree though !

No individual is bigger than the club. I'll continue to support whoever is manager, goes without saying, but if Jol does go it isn't the end of the world. In fact, it may even be a blessing. Wigan beat Sunderland 3-0. How on earth did Jol fail to rally our players and not beat such feeble opposition. Not just one game either. I can recall a number of games last season that left me staggered....and just one, at home to Chelsea when I felt overwhelmed with pride.
Back to top Go down
eldenng
David Tuttle
David Tuttle
eldenng

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 22:58

I am also in the minority Spur'don, don't forget me Razz

I should say that Levy made a big mistake on not making decisions on sacking the manager, if he would like to do so after the end of last season. However, as I said, I keep my option open. If players in Spurs(esp. those back for Jol or being taken good care by Jol, such as JJ...) show their determination to fight against MU on the coming Sunday, I would back for Jol as he shows the only man who brings harmony and determination to Spurs. If not, I will back for Levy's decision on SACKING JOL!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 23:13

I'm not sure you can judge a manager on the performance of one game.

However, I do agree, certain players who claim to support Jol ( and the club we love so much ), could demonstrate that by putting in a committed performance against Man Utd.

JJ, who played well against Derby, must follow that up with another top display on Sunday.
Back to top Go down
GDG
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
GDG

Number of posts : 2576

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 23:17

Interesting to see what happens if he's still in place for the ManU game and we win - they'd look a bit silly then, wouldn't they?
Back to top Go down
eldenng
David Tuttle
David Tuttle
eldenng

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21 2007, 23:17

Maybe I express my feeling in a wrong way, Sorry, Spur'don.

What I wanna express is that I didn't see any "top-four-manager" features form Jol. I just use MU game as an example. Jol have played tons of games against top-four managers. However, it seems that except we got a victory on Jose last season,We are difficult to get pts from the top-fours even under the management of Jol.
Back to top Go down
twiglet
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
twiglet

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22 2007, 00:50

elden / jez - i dont think you guys are really in the minority saying that it is unlikely, given the chance, that Jol can deliver us to the next level.

My point is the timing of the impending boot.

Can you honestly tell me that you think we will have a better season this year if we out Jol now?

Incidentally - did we watch the same Football Focus tonight? The one I watched, Steve McMahon said he didn't agree with replacing Jol 3 games in.
Back to top Go down
eldenng
David Tuttle
David Tuttle
eldenng

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22 2007, 01:00

twiglet wrote:
elden / jez - i dont think you guys are really in the minority saying that it is unlikely, given the chance, that Jol can deliver us to the next level.

My point is the timing of the impending boot.

Can you honestly tell me that you think we will have a better season this year if we out Jol now?

Incidentally - did we watch the same Football Focus tonight? The one I watched, Steve McMahon said he didn't agree with replacing Jol 3 games in.

So, as I said, I keep my option OPEN. I am neutral on Jol sacking issue. It may be a mind game, to make players show their determination and supports to Jol. But I am not that confident Jol will lead us further, honestly.

Also, there is a rumor about Jol's decision on selling Berbatov after the match against Sunderland. And Levy, of coz, rejected it and that's why Levy may have the idea of sacking Jol to keep Berbatov.
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

Number of posts : 1533
Registration date : 2007-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22 2007, 01:12

According to Sky Sports this morning, Fabio Capello has told Ramos to wait untill the Chelsea job becomes available at the end of the season as he is so highly rated there. Yes that CHELSEA, premier league winners 2 out of the past three seasons. Ramos has worked on a shoestring budget over the past 3 seasons and won contless trophies.
This is the manager that will take us to that next level and have us competing for the title.

People say that it's a disgrace that mj should be fired but yet these same people will jump on the back of an underperforming player (gardener) and wish to replace them with a better alternative (Kaboul), same thing applies in management surely. This is a good thing for the club, it proves we are evolving and 5th place simply isn't good enough anymore.

We all want the same thing (board inclusive) and that's success at Spurs. Thanks Martin you've done a great job during your time but the club is evolving and we want the best........enter one Juande Gonzalez Ramos.

The timing, a pre-season come and gone and 3 matches into a new season with the highest expectations in MY life time.. STINKS.

HOWEVER, not for 1 second do I beleive that Levy & Co have passed on a vote of no confidence to JOL based on the 1st 2 games of the season.... You must give Levy more credit than that , surely ? !?? And in over 100 games in charge, if we are as ambitious as this Board's backing seems to prove, then I would be prepared to swap them after this weekend's game away to ManUre.

Yes, he has delivered the best results I've seen for Spurs in 15 years (GAWD that's DEPRESSING), but I don't think he can take us much further... and therefore, I agree with the logic in "Upgrading" our coaches.

The Board's policy for revamping the squad has been the envy of the most EPL teams. (including Jol's sign-off on players) and yet... I always have the sense that JOl and Houghton are sadly but simply not up to the desired level to get the best out of them..

While it pains me to say it, this Spaniard, Juan Ramos, could very well be our Mesiah. He reminds me a lot of Steve Coppell in the EPL - a fresh breath of entertaining AND results- producing football. (and trophies to back it up.

Weird but true, I remember telling my Dad (*who always reckoned Jol was a bit of a sheizter and over-rated), after last year's matches against Seville, how ONE day, I'd like to see JR have a go at Spurs..

If it means we have to sack Jol NOW in order to sign Ramos (or never and, if also true beat ChelSki to his signature) then I'm inclined to back Levy & Comolli... despite the all the shit.
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22 2007, 01:22

Should Ramos come in , I would LOVE to see Clive Allen promoted to be his No 1. Assistant.
Back to top Go down
spur'don
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
spur'don

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22 2007, 10:39

Hairy - 100% agree with your post. Took the words right out of my mouth !

Twiglets - What SM said was he didn't agree with the timing ( I don't think anybody does ) but he could understand why Levy has serious doubts about Jol.
Back to top Go down
twiglet
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
twiglet

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22 2007, 12:11

Hairy - not sure I agree with your comments about replacing the manager being the same as replacing a player (Gardener / Kaboul)

To me, the manager is the boss, the capatain, the leader, the numero uno, and to replace him means a whole rethink of strategy, policy, tactics, schedule etc etc This potentially unsettles the whole squad. To replace a player means a new face among 35 to fit in to perform a specific task.

Agreed some players are more significant than others so you cant apply that logic to all situations but I just dont think you can put it on par with replacing the manager.
Back to top Go down
Hairy
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
Hairy

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22 2007, 13:33

Twiglet, the 1st couple of paragraphs are from Sky Sports.

I completely agree its not the same changing a player and the manager... far, far from it... hence our hesitation at the risk of the timing.

Anyway, hope this inspires the palyers to a great battle with ManUre on Sunday ! !! bom
Back to top Go down
ezza
Founding Father
Founding Father
ezza

Number of posts : 1702

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22 2007, 13:39

Quote :
Anyway, hope this inspires the palyers to a great battle with ManUre on Sunday ! !!

Hairy, this is the only good thing that can potentially come out of this whole debacle. Players uniting under their current manager to put in the performance of the season and come away with a point (possibly sneaking all 3).

COYS!
Back to top Go down
twiglet
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
twiglet

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22 2007, 15:22

Hairy wrote:
Twiglet, the 1st couple of paragraphs are from Sky Sports.

I completely agree its not the same changing a player and the manager... far, far from it... hence our hesitation at the risk of the timing.

Anyway, hope this inspires the palyers to a great battle with ManUre on Sunday ! !! bom

In that case I'm not sure I agree with Sky Sports comments Wink
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22 2007, 15:26

Expect to see huge banners from supporters offering their 110% support for BMJ all over the away stand.
Back to top Go down
twiglet
Gary Stevens
Gary Stevens
twiglet

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22 2007, 15:30

James wrote:
Expect to see huge banners from supporters offering their 110% support for BMJ all over the away stand.

and my crappy flag at Delaneys cheers
Back to top Go down
James
Edgar Davids
Edgar Davids
James

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22 2007, 16:26

Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 Jol85
cheers
Back to top Go down
Linesmann
Andy Booth
Andy Booth
Linesmann

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2007-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 22 2007, 23:06

eldenng wrote:
spur'don wrote:
ezza wrote:
I've just exchanged emails with Jim at Topspurs. His "snout" confirms that Jol will be told to sling his hook as soon as the replacement can be confirmed. No mention who this might be.

All too depressing for words No This season is already doomed to the zhit heap and I suspect the next one too. Sunday at OT will be a nightmare.

FECK IT!!!!

Disagree. I'd personally reserve judgement on Jol until the end of the season. However, I do kind of see where Levy is coming from and it would be hypocritical for me to argue otherwise.

I felt Jol was unlucky to loss Carrick. However, I just don't think he is a top manager.

Levy is taking a bold step - some may say foolish, others would say decisive. A new manager will have some top players to work alongside. There are better managers than Jol and deep down I think we all know it. I said at the start of the season Spurs would finish 6th. That isn't good enough. A better manager who can maximise what is at his disposal could clinch 4th spot.

I'm in the minority but I back Levy. Its a business - no room for sentiment. If someone else is better and available, bye bye. That's life. Football is no different. If Spurs finish 4th and Holland approached Jol what would he do ????

Absolutely agree with you, spurdon!!!! I sympathize with Jol BUT I keep my option open. I don't think that there are "politics" problems on Jol leaving issue. I have understanding that why Levy is impatient with Jol after 2 defeats this season. We can see that Spurs are not ORGANIZED after the Carrick's leave. This problem existed already. How come Jol didn't solve it???? We are ambitious now, and need a top manager who can tackle things well. If we can grab some pts in the game of MU this staurday, I will definitely back for Jol as he is showing his superior ability over those top-fours' mangers. If not, I will support the Levy's decision to sack him.

So, pls show your ability to us, JOL!!!!!

I dun really care how the team play on Sunday
Every team play their 120% when against the top4 everytime

Would rather like to see wht can Jol and the team do when visiting Fulham even in the next few months except facing the top4 and the home game.
Sth different which we hv never seen before in the team but maybe after this emotional 48hrs.

I believe and i'd glad to see the team play with spirit , heart and steel since now. However it's not enough to achieve to a higher level with only those elements. Questionable tactics moves and poor organized must be solve. Tht's the minimum requirement for a team who're going to fight for an admission ticket of the CL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos   Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Goodbye Jol, hello Ramos
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2